2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2015 7:40 AM by ChrisC_3

Server side user authentication vs file authentication

ChrisC_3

Title

Server side user authentication vs file authentication

Hello,

I'd like to know weather it's possible to create a single server side authentication method that would govern access to all databases through privilege groups rather than having to add each user to every database manually.

In a situation where we have 100+ users and potentially over 20 databases the latter seems very inefficient.

I know that there is a server side authentication method in Filemaker, but I would like some clarification about potential application in the above scenario.

• 1. Re: Server side user authentication vs file authentication
          philmodjunk

This is a built in capability. We use Active Directory here to manage a list of several hundred users over a set of more than 100 database files....

The precise details will vary a bit with the external authentication method used, see FileMaker Help for documentation on those details.

The basic method is that you define a "group" in AD, or other such system. You assign your users in that system to those Groups. You then define accounts in your files with the same account names as the group name, specifying a privilege set, but selecting external authentication in place of specifying a single password for that account.

Please note that the FileMaker account name is not returned by Get ( AccountName ) in this case. You get the user names specified in AD and thus can still identify individual users while using Get ( accountPrivilegeSetName ) to identify groups of users.