4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2013 8:14 AM by philmodjunk

Session Attendance

NonProfitEducationUser

Title

Session Attendance

Hi,

I am creating a new database for an education non-profit. We are tracking programs, with multiple sessions- and need to track attendance for each session. I have been reading all the other forum posts, they have helped, but still confused.

What I have tables for: Cohorts (group of students that start and finish a program together); Sessions (to track date and topic); Participants (to track student data); and Attendance (to track which students attend which sessions). All related through each other.

I have a layout set up in the context of cohorts that tracks all the sessions for that cohort, and the student roster for that cohort- now I am looking to be able to add a tab to track which students attend each session (can be a different layout if needed)

In the attendance table, I have:

_fkParticipantID

_fkSessionID

__pkAttendanceLink

AttDate

AttPresAbsent (this is set up as a radio to select Present or Absent, but really I just need to be collecting information if they are PRESENT)

I can get the attendance for ONE day using the a global date feild, but I'd like to have the look of a traditional table with the student names in rows and the different dates for each session in the columns. So how to do track multiple days with present/absent information?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Session Attendance
          philmodjunk

Can more than one Cohort attend the same session?

Can you map out all your tables and exactly how they are related? A screen shot of manage | Database | Relationships can be very helpful for that, but it also often helps to includes some additional commentary explaining what you in your screen shot.

• 2. Re: Session Attendance
            NonProfitEducationUser

Thank you so much for such a quick response!

No, more than one cohort cannot attend the same session. Cohort ----< Session ----< Participants

I have attached the relationship graph. The center Cohort, Session, Attendance, Participants is the part we are looking at right now. So, if I see 1st, 2nd, and 3rd hour PE classes, those are each "cohorts". Now, I am in their PE class for 5 days- so we see 1st hour 5 times, 2nd hour 5 times, etc. So each of those is a "session". We have the class roster for each of the 3 PE classes, so we can collect contact and demographic information, so each student is a "Participant"; and then need to track who was there on Monday, and who was there on Thursday.

I am also trying to attach what I was trying to do with the portal... I was having trouble attaching just the image, so I attached a PDF with the graph and the portal shots. (The name is a merge feild in the portal).

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Session Attendance
              NonProfitEducationUser

I cannot get this to attach or paste. Here are the relationships:

Grant ----< Cohorts -----<SessionDays -----<AttendanceLink >---------- Participants.

We get one grant that covers a lot of groups. Each group meets multiple days, each day has participants who attend.

Each cohort, has a class roster.

Does that help a bit more?

I had previously called the AttendanceLink, just the student link table to avoid the many-many relationship. And attendance was under participants. Then I figured out today at the studentlink is really my attendance as it has a fk for ParticipantIDs and SessionID.

• 4. Re: Session Attendance
                philmodjunk

When you upload an image it must be a file of one of the types listed next to the controls for uploading that image. Perhaps you tried uploading a PDF of your screen shot?

First thing that I don't see is a relationship between Cohorts and Participants in order to document which person is a member of a given Cohort. Perhaps you have that in another part of your relationships graph, but if you don't it would seem to be something else that you need and if a participant can be a member of different cohorts (maybe at different times), then that is also a many to many relationship.

There are two basic and slightly different ways to log attendance.

Option 1: A script loops through the enrollment records for a particular class (or a Cohort in this case) and generates one attendance record for each participant for that class session. You then change a value in a field (such as a check box field) to mark which participants are present.

Option 2: You only create records in the attendance table for a given participant if they are present (or absent) for that session. The actual existence of such a record for that session is what indicates who was present and who was absent.

Either option can be set up with a roster of all participants that are a member of that Cohort and clicking either their name or a control next to their name can either mark them present or mark them absent.