6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 7:52 AM by lijnbach

Set field - keep lay out

lijnbach

Title

Set field - keep lay out

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a function for "set field", but only the value of the text.

In a lay out I "set a field" with a value of another table. All works fine. But the manager can change the font and text style in this lay out. And every time I use the "set field" it comes back with the right value, but with the standard lay out.

Is there a function to get the value (text) of the other table without changing the lay out? (Text style and font etc).

Thanks in advance,

Hans Lijnbach.

• 1. Re: Set field - keep lay out
          philmodjunk

Set field does not change the layout. It can't.

But the manager can change the font and text style in this lay out.

Exactly how is the manager doing this? There are two methods with very different results that fit that sentence:

a) enter layout mode, select the field and specify a different font.

b) select all or some of the text in the field and use the formatting tool bar to specify a font for the selected text.

• 2. Re: Set field - keep lay out
            lijnbach

Hai Phil,

The manager in changing the font and color by using the formatting toolbar (only visible in this specific lay out).

But I set one of the fields every time someone is entering this lay out. And the "set field" sets a value of a global field. So I get back the field lay out (or font and color) from the global field every time the "set field" is used.

Hans Lijnbach

• 3. Re: Set field - keep lay out
              philmodjunk

So I get back the field lay out (or font and color) from the global field every time the "set field" is used.

So the text in the global field includes the font and color from this field?

If that is what you meant:

Set Field [YourTable::yourGlobalField ; TextFormatRemove ( YourTable::ManagerFormattedFieldHere ) ]

will copy the data but remove all the added formatting.

• 4. Re: Set field - keep lay out
                lijnbach

Hai Phil,

Your answer already shows what I am looking for; "TextFormatRemove". I already thought there would be a function, I only can't find the Dutch equivalent for this function. I already spent hours on this one. I will keep searching because I now know there is a function.

Does it also work with calculated fields?

Thanks again Phil, I keep searching.

Hans Lijnbach.

PS. The reason why I needed this one is because I saw on the forum your suggestion of a separation model. I implemented that a few months ago, and went one step further. I have a "Interface" file, a "Data" file, but also a third one, the "License" file. Every time they start the application it checks and recalculates the License Name. The manager can change the font and color, so it fits to their own style. But after every recalculation I lost the font and style set by the manager.

• 5. Re: Set field - keep lay out
                  philmodjunk

Try looking up "text formatting functions" in FileMaker help. This should be listed as a function in that category.

Used as part of the calculated result in the set field step, it does not matter if the field is calculated or not. You can also include that function as part of the field's calculation and if you don't want to allow users to change the text format of a data field, you can use TextFormatRemove ( self ) as an auto-enter calculation to remove the added formatting--which can also come from pasting formatted text into the field--at the time the text is added to the field.

• 6. Re: Set field - keep lay out
                    lijnbach

Hai Phil,

Thanks again for your help, this will help me out. And yes, I looked in Filemaker help, but I just can't find (so far) the Dutch translation. But I am sure I can find it now.

Hans.