4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 11:43 AM by BrettTrusko

Set Field Procedure

BrettTrusko

Title

Set Field Procedure

OK, Once again, I am sitting here for an hour trying to figure out how to create this in Filemaker Pro 11

Set Field [<table name>::Count Field; 0]

No matter how I try to work through the specifications of the field I just can't get the semi colon to come up. Somtimes I wish there was just a script editor in filemaker so I wouldn't have to wander the screens.

So, I would like to set this count field to zero, but can't figure out how to do it.

• 1. Re: Set Field Procedure
          philmodjunk

When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Click OK. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.

• 2. Re: Set Field Procedure
            ninja

Assuming you are in scriptmaker...

Choose Setfield

See the two buttons on the lower right of the window (Specify Target Field, Calculated Result)

Click the top one to choose your field (<tablename>::Count Field), hit OK

Click the bottom one, calc window pops up, type "0", hit OK

Done.  FMP inserts the semicolon for you.

... and Phil beats me to the post again...

• 3. Re: Set Field Procedure
              philmodjunk

This issue with set field is common enough that I typed up a detailed paragraph and stored it in a database of such tips that I maintain. Then I just copy and paste this text whenever the issue arrises in this forum. Wink

• 4. Re: Set Field Procedure
                BrettTrusko

Thank you both - it isn't intuative, but I will get better at this . . .