Question asked by james.gould on Mar 8, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 by james.gould

Title

Set Field Speed

When scripting there are many different ways of 'setting' a field:

• Set Field (and variations)
  • Insert Text/Calculated result etc...
  • Replace Field Contents
  • Copy/Paste (I gather this is here from filemaker's earlier legacy for backwards compatibility and it is bad practice to use this now)

Our client has asked for an 'apply to all' button which will copy a given date and the contents of two other global fields into a set of given records, usually less than 50 - however it will still have to loop through these records.Given that some of their staff will be accessing via internet connections (but still using FMP11) speed/efficiency between the server and the client are of key concern. I would be very grateful if anybody could advice me on the fastest way of putting the date into the field...

At the moment I am storing the values as variables (so the system doesn't have to look at the relationship diagram every time it picks up the values from the field - I'm hoping this saves some time), going to a layout and creating the found set, freezing the window and looping through setting the 3 fields (using the Set Field script step). I have a suspicion that the suggestion might be to try all the variations of the Set Field step my self, but thought it might be worth asking anyway!

Outcomes