3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 5:00 PM by LaRetta_1

set field to value from a portal?

DonorTracker

Title

set field to value from a portal?

I have an Income table and a Membership table that are joined on a unique member ID.

In the Income table, each year a member pays dues, the expiration date for the membership advances to April 201x.

I have a portal to the Income table's expiration date for each member in my Membership table, and I have the portal sorted to show the latest expiration date first.

To make it easy to sort my Membership table in Table View, I want to have a field in Membership that shows the latest expiration date.

How can I assign the latest expiration date from the portal to Income to a field in Membership?  Thanks for your help. 

PS: I'm using FMPro 10 Mac.

• 1. Re: set field to value from a portal?
          philmodjunk

option 1: Use the Last function in a calculation field to display the last related record from the portal's table--which is the record your sorted portal lists first as I read your post.

option 2: instead of sorting the portal, sort the relationship in Manage | Database | Relationships. Then you can simply place the field from income directly on the layout. Since your sorted relationship makes the latest expiry date the first record, this is the record that will supply the data to this field.

Option 3: make another portal just one row in size with the same sort order and make the portal borders invisible so that it just looks like another field.

• 2. Re: set field to value from a portal?
            DonorTracker

Option 2 was the easiest. Many thanks! Couldn't get Option 1 to work.  Option 3 didn't allow me to sort the Table View of the Membership table by expiration date.

• 3. Re: set field to value from a portal?
              LaRetta_1

"Option 3 didn't allow me to sort the Table View"

As an aside, portals do not function at all in table view; it will be as if the portal does not exist and you placed the related field directly on your layout.