3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 6:24 AM by philmodjunk

Set Variable With Calculated Field Name?

SteveFransen_1

Title

Set Variable With Calculated Field Name?

Can I set a variable to a value based on a calculated field name?

Here's what I want to do...

Set Variable [ $TableName; Value: "ExampleTableName" ]

Set Variable [$Variable; Value: $TableName & "::field" ]

When I do this $Variable is set to the text string "ExampleTableName::field" rather than the contents of ExampleTableName::field

Thanks

• 1. Re: Set Variable With Calculated Field Name?
          SteveMartino

It's giving you the results you asked for by putting things in quotes.

For $TableName try   Get ( ActiveFieldTableName ). 

I don't understand what you are looking for.  Do you want the value of the contents in a field to set to a variable, or do you want the dynamic TableName::Field to use in a variable?

For Example if I have a table "Customers' and a field "Account_status" and its marked 'Unpaid, this calculation:

Get ( ActiveFieldTableName ) & "::" & Get ( ActiveFieldName ) &  " = " & Get ( ActiveFieldContents )

results in this:

Customers::Account_status = Unpaid

• 2. Re: Set Variable With Calculated Field Name?
            SteveFransen_1

I don't understand what you are looking for.  Do you want the value of the contents in a field to set to a variable, or do you want the dynamic TableName::Field to use in a variable?

I want the dynamic TableName::Field to use in a variable.

Get ( ActiveFieldTableName ) & "::" & Get ( ActiveFieldName ) &  " = " & Get ( ActiveFieldContents )

I think I understand. This step in the script is called when a user clicks a button, in a portal row, on a panel, on a popover, so I need to try this and make sure the focus is on the correct field when the click occurs.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Set Variable With Calculated Field Name?
              philmodjunk

If it's always the same field, take a look at getfieldname.