11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 4:39 PM by realway

Setting page breaks

realway

Title

Setting page breaks

I have just set up an envelope layout quite successfully using "hash"10 page setup.   When I then try and create an A4 form letter layout I cannot get rid of the envelope page setup.   I am using the latest Filemaker Pro version 11.0v4.  Mac Show Leopard new Canon printer IP4700     Advice please.

Cheers  John

• 1. Re: Setting page breaks
          philmodjunk

Is this a single user system on one computer or is it hosted over the network?

Are you able to select a different paper size and orientation in Printer setup?

Do the settings fail to persist when you close and re-open the file?

• 2. Re: Setting page breaks
            realway

It is a single user system,I can set different paper sizes etc but the settings are not reflected when i try and alter them on my new A4 layout.   The settings fail when i close and re openn the file.   i have even re-started the domputer to try and fix this

Thanks for your quick reply, looking forward to hearing from you.

• 3. Re: Setting page breaks
              philmodjunk

What OS?

Are you using Printer Setup to change the settings manually?

Are you printing from the File menu or a script?

• 4. Re: Setting page breaks
                realway

I am using OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and using the Printer Setup to change the settings manually.    I am printing from the File menu as i have not set up a script yet.    

i do use a second screen on my iMac but all the work has been done on the main screen.

Sorry to be a bit long winded with the reply but have been out all day

• 5. Re: Setting page breaks
                  philmodjunk

Try running this recover on your file and see if the recovered file exhibits the same behavior:

With the file closed, launch FileMaker and select Recover.

Click the Advanced Recover options and specify:

1. Copy file blocks as is
                  2. Delete cached settings (page setup, sort order, etc.)

This recovered file should be Ok to use as all it does is reset certain settings (including page setup settings) back to their initial "factor spec" values.

• 6. Re: Setting page breaks
                    realway

No luck,   I ran the advanced recover programme as you suggested with only those options you suggest ticked.   Then tried Page Setup on the partidular letter file.  Page Setup showed A$ but the envelope page break lines still showed.   I then had a look in preview and it showed three different pages along the lines of the envelope.   When I printed it, three separate pages printed!

What is the next step?

• 7. Re: Setting page breaks
                      philmodjunk

Unfortunately, the next step is to create a new layout and to not copy any layout objects from your current layout when creating this new version. I believe the layout itself is damaged (seen this before in other files...)

• 8. Re: Setting page breaks
                        realway

OK, will i use the recovered file, delete the envelope layout and then create the form letter layout and then the envelope one?

• 9. Re: Setting page breaks
                          philmodjunk

You should only need to rebuild the layouts where you cannot change the page size setting in printer set up.

While it really should make no difference which copy of the file you use for this, I'd use the original file.

Also, do you have another printer driver installed besides this one? If so, try selecting that driver, specify the page size and orientation and use Preview Mode to check the results. It could be an issue with your printer driver, though that seems a bit of a long shot here.

(PS. since the limited recover did nothing, you might want to to a full up recover of this file to see if any problems are reported.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
                          • 10. Re: Setting page breaks
                            realway

I think this is going to work.   I deleted the above and it looks as though the pages are going to print out to the A$ settings again.    I have yet to re-create the envelope layout.    Will do this and see if the problem repeats itself.

Thanks very much for your invaluable assistance

Cheers

john

• 11. Re: Setting page breaks
                              realway

I think our answers crossed.   So far I/we seem to have fixed it.   I don't have another driver but if the problem persists i will download one and try it.

So far, So good!!!