6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 1:33 PM by Ajnabi121

Setting Privileges minus Delete facility

Ajnabi121

Title

Setting Privileges minus Delete facility

Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to FileMaker Pro and I need some advice/assistance:

I am running FileMaker Pro 9 on Windows XP. 

I have created a database to record personal details and record of action including progress of all our clients. Up until now ONLY I have have been uploading all the data as I was also developing the database (work in progress).  I am now in the position where I would like to allow other team members to upload information onto the database too.

I have created separate logins for different team members and have managed to setup layers so that only that particular team member can see his/hers relevant section (all the other layers are hidden).

I am trying to set up privileges for them so that they can create and edit new records but NOT DELETE any (to do that they will have to go through me, this is also to stop them deleting records by accident as I will be monitoring the database).  When I create the privilege set as describes, I get an error message <No Access> when I log in as this particular team member (Data Entry Only and Read-Only Access privileges work fine).

I've looked throught the posts (and the manuals) but have not been successful in finding any solution as to why the message is coming up.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanking you all in advance.

Ajnabi121

• 1. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
          david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

I am assuming <No Access> appears on the layout. If so, a grey box hides the information to which access is forbidden. Where this grey box appears determines what access is forbidden. If the entire layout is greyed out, that means layout access is forbidden. If the field is greyed out, that means field access or record access is forbidden.

If the latter is the case, remember that even if a user has access to view a record, the user may not have access to view a field.

You can also use the functions Get (LayoutAccess), Get (PrivilegeSetName), Get (RecordAccess) in the Data Viewer to find out what the access levels are while logged in as a problematic user.

• 2. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
            Ajnabi121

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I will have a look at my Database to see if this is the case.  I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your response, its greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Ajnabi

• 3. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
              Ajnabi121

Hi David,

I've had a look at my sample database and it seems to be in Browse Mode and not in layout (or am I confusing myself?)

I took a few screen shots to show what I'm getting or what my settings are:

Custom New Privilege

Manage Accounts

Error Message - No Access

Record Menu Display

View Menu Display

When I log into any other account, with standard privileges (ie: Full Access, Data Entry Only Access or Read Only Access) the script takes me to the designated layout BUT when I select this particular usename (with create/edit records only and no delete) I get this <No Access> error messag.

Any other suggestions?

Furthermore, I'm not too clued up on scripts so can you please suggest how I can use the functions Get (LayoutAccess), Get (PrivilegeSetName), Get (RecordAccess) in the Data Viewer to find out what the access levels are while logged in as a problematic user?

Many Thanks.

Ajnabi121

• 4. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
                SaterInc
                   In your priviledge settings you have layouts set to "No Access" so your end user cannot access any of your layouts, change the layout priviledge to "view only" for your end users.
                • 5. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
                  david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca
                     I second SaterInc's assessment. I will add that you might want to give read access to the value lists too, as they are likely used during data entry.
                  • 6. Re: Setting Privileges minus Delete facility
                    Ajnabi121

I would like to thank both David and SaterInc for their excellent advice.

My immediate problem has been solved.

A BIG THANK YOU

Keep up the good work guys, we need people like you to help us novices develop.

Kind Regards,

Ajnabi121

PS.

Come to think of it, it was a silly mistake - I should have realised what I've done wrong BUT sometimes you can miss the obvious when it is stairing you right in the face (we're only human)