1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

Setting size of custom label

mwtse

Title

Setting size of custom label

I'm using FMP10 on OS10.6.4, printing with A4 laser printer.

Trying to create a layout to print labels. The label I used is A4 in size with 14 x 4 = 56 labels each sheet, the labels fill up the sheet without any margin.

I created the custom sized labels, using the correct size (5.25 x 2.12 cm), shrink the header to zero height, set the top and bottom margin to zero.

However, the last row of labels will just printed on next page (i.e. I could only have 13 x 4 per sheet). If I reduce the height of the labels bit by bit, eventually I could get the last row on the first page. But then another problem appear, the first row of the second page will be printed higher than the first page, not to mention that the labels are printing with incorrect vertical space between them.

It seems that it is the problem of size setting, may be the round-off error accumulated.

Is there a way to reset the position every page, so that the errors do not get carried to next page?

Or should I work the other way round, adjust the size of the page so that the labels will fit?

P.S. what is the meaning of the dialogue "use fixed page margin"?

• 1. Re: Setting size of custom label
          philmodjunk

Actually, the problem lies with the fact that few printers can print from the very top edge to the very bottom edge of the page. Since your labels have no top or bottom margin, filemaker is attempting to fit as many labels as possible inside this printable area. You can go into layout setup... and specify 0 fixed top and bottom margins to get all your labels on one page, but you may find that the top and/or bottom label rows may print incompletely if anything on those labels extend outside this printable area.

A better approach may be to use labels that have top and bottom margins for this reason.