6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 10:26 PM by suzzle

setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields

suzzle

Title

setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields

I am trying to move or change size of fields in a layout. When I try to drag a field or change its size by dragging one of the corner handles, the display of the layout turns black (with dotted white lines where the boundary fo the field presumably is).  I'm using FMP 7.  Havent used the program in a few years but don't remember having this problem before.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
          ninja

Howdy suzzle,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post.

Let's start with the silly questions before proposing solutions...Did it change appearance because you selected it by clicking on the 'resizing anchor' (ie/ did you highlight that field by selecting it)?  Click somewhere else on the layout and see if it goes back to how you wanted it.

If you select the field and change it's fill color and border back to what you wanted, does it accept the changes?

It sounds like a selection highlight on first blush.

Enjoy the day!

• 2. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
            suzzle

Ninja wrote:

Howdy suzzle,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post.

Let's start with the silly questions before proposing solutions...Did it change appearance because you selected it by clicking on the 'resizing anchor' (ie/ did you highlight that field by selecting it)?  Click somewhere else on the layout and see if it goes back to how you wanted it.

If you select the field and change it's fill color and border back to what you wanted, does it accept the changes?

It sounds like a selection highlight on first blush.

Enjoy the day!

Hi, Ninja-

Thanks for your response.  Here's a better explanation of what happens...

When I click a layout object, its resizing handles appear, indicating it's selected. If I mousedown on the object or one of its handles so I can move or resize the object, the entire window turns black--except for a few dotted white lines, until I release the mouse--at which point the layout appears again as it should (i.e., white background with objects showing).  If I click somewhere else on the layout, it briefly turns black, but stays black only if I hold the mouse down 

Any ideas? Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm working on a PC

Thanks for your help.

suzzle

• 3. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
              raybaudi

Hi

It seems an incompatibily issue from your OS ( Vista ? ) and your FMP version.

Which are they ?

• 4. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
                suzzle

raybaudi wrote:

Hi

It seems an incompatibily issue from your OS ( Vista ? ) and your FMP version.

Which are they ?

Uh oh!  FMP 7 and Windows Vista.  I'm thinking that must be bad.  Do you think that's the problem?

thanks

• 5. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
                  raybaudi

suzzle wrote:
                  Do you think that's the problem?

Yes.

FileMaker Pro

• Versions: 6, 7, 8.5, 9 and 10
                  • Vista Compatibility: FileMaker Pro 9 and 10 work with Vista with no known issues. Previous versions of FileMaker Pro work with Vista, but with known issues
                  • Issues: See the FileMaker Knowledge Base article 6217 for details and application updates.
                  • Vendor Support: Version 9 is officially supported, but previous versions are not officially supported.

• 6. Re: setting up a layout - manipulating layout fields
                    suzzle

raybaudi wrote:

suzzle wrote:
                    Do you think that's the problem?

Yes.

FileMaker Pro

• Versions: 6, 7, 8.5, 9 and 10
                    • Vista Compatibility: FileMaker Pro 9 and 10 work with Vista with no known issues. Previous versions of FileMaker Pro work with Vista, but with known issues
                    • Issues: See the FileMaker Knowledge Base article 6217 for details and application updates.
                    • Vendor Support: Version 9 is officially supported, but previous versions are not officially supported.

Well, bad news is better than not knowing!  Thanks for the info.  For as much as I work with FMP (very infrequently) I can work around the problem by setting up my own layouts (easier than trying to modify layout templates).

Again, thanks.