5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

Setting up a unique file path for every record

WarnerBros

Title

Setting up a unique file path for every record

Hi All!

I have an audit database set up and I have each audit set up as a "record". I would like to set up a button that you could press to open up the designated folder pertaining to the specific audit. As of now I can only figure out how to have the same file opened for every record.....

Thanks for your help!

-Sam

• 1. Re: Setting up a unique file path for every record
          philmodjunk

There are File plug ins that give FileMaker new capabilities when working with files. There are a number of them and cost and capabilities vary widely so if you decide to go that route, do some web searching and compare them before acquiring and using one.

Once they open a window to that folder, what would the user do next? Maybe there's another way to do what you need that does not require any "extras".

• 2. Re: Setting up a unique file path for every record
            WarnerBros

Once they open the folder the user would look be viewing a document as a reference.

• 3. Re: Setting up a unique file path for every record
              philmodjunk

I don't follow that. If they "open a folder" that pops up a window listing all the files in that foldler. What happens next to get to "viewing a document by reference"?

If all your documents are already stored in container fields in records in FileMaker, "opening a folder" is not needed. You can just pull up a list of these records and a user can select one to open the document stored "by reference" in the container field. This can be scripted or they can just double click the container field.

• 4. Re: Setting up a unique file path for every record
                WarnerBros

K Let me start over.

I have a databse where each record, in one of my tables, represents an individual audit and its specific details (i.e. claims, dates, etc.). When I view this information in browse mode I would like to set up a button that could bring up the folder that exists on a shared drive outside of filemaker. The folder contains PDF documents. I would even like it to pull up a particular document but not even a "folder" of documents. However, I don't know how to set up the button to have different file paths for each record.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if this is still not clear.

-Sam

• 5. Re: Setting up a unique file path for every record
                  philmodjunk

Don't try to open a folder, you don't need to. Say you have this relationship:

Audits::AuditID = Documents::AuditID

In documents, define these fields: A container field named Document where we can insert a reference to a document, and the AuditId field so that we can link this record to a specific Audit record. Add a text field to store the title of the document.

Put a portal to Documents on your Audits layout and you can display the list of documents for that audit record. If you put a small copy of the container field on this portal row, the user can double click it to open the file. You can also put a button on this portal row that uses go to field [Documents::Document] to open the file.

This portal then functions as your "folder" of documents for a given audit.