1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 1:33 PM by philmodjunk

Setting up BarCode Field

ChrisCameron

Title

Setting up BarCode Field

I currently have a Inventory Database created with a Customer List that I would like to set-up barcodes for to allow scanning of the barcode when creating an invoice to populate the customer data. I have barcodes set-up for the Products under Line Items but having trouble with setting up the Customer List to be able to scan barcodes and have the record populate itself. 

• 1. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
          philmodjunk

Is this for a USB connected barcode scanner using FileMaker Pro or do you plan to scan bar codes with an iOS device such as an iPhone? The way to set this up is very different for these two options.

For some sample scripts of how to set up bar codes scanning with a USB connected scanner using FileMaker Pro, see:

Need help writing script to integrate barcode scanning

• 2. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
            ChrisCameron

I will be using a bluetooth scanner connected to an iPad. The Scanner works currently with the Product Barcodes that I have set-up, just not sure how to set-up for my Customer List like I have the Product List. Thanks. 

• 3. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
              philmodjunk

Then you'll need to describe both the design of your database and where you run into difficulty in quite a bit more detail.

• 4. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                ChrisCameron

My Customer Page, I would like to set-up field to enter a Barcode in the Barcode Field that is unique to each Customer. 

• 5. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                  ChrisCameron

Currently on my Invoices page, when I select "Bill To" a drop down list appears of all my Customers, when I select the customer I want the rest of the information (Address, Phone, ETC) is automatically populated below.

I would like when the Bill To is selected that I can scan a barcode and that it will do the same thing as if I was to select the Customer manually.

• 6. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                    ChrisCameron

My Current Customer Layout

• 7. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                      ChrisCameron

My Current Invoices Layout

• 8. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                        philmodjunk

It's important to understand that Layouts and Tables are not the same thing even though FileMaker frequently gives them identical names. What you show screen shots of are not layouts, but the field definitions of two of your tables.

But you say that you already have barcodes set up for line items. It's the same basic procedure here. Are you having trouble setting up a barcode field or trouble looking up related info on the customer.

The basic "look up" process is exactly the same as entering/selecting a Customer ID and then seeing info from the customer's record appear on your current invoice record. It's just that scanning the barcode (which is a code of the user's customerID) is the action that enters the ID code instead of using a value list or other typical method for looking up a customer.

And there are two ways that the same relationship can be used to pull up data from a related record. One copies the data into fields of the current record. The other dynamically links to the data in the related record. Which method is best for you depends on choices you or your client make on how you need to work with this information. See this thread for more on that subject: Auto Fill

• 9. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                          ChrisCameron

I am having trouble with the "Bill To" field accepting the Barcodes when I scan them to auto-populate Customer information. I would like to be able to scan a barcode and have it pull the related Customer based off of Barcode. I will take a look at the link you provided shortly to see if that will help. thanks. 

• 10. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                            ChrisCameron

Here are the relationships that I have between the tables. Does this look correct for the Barcode to work?

• 11. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                              ChrisCameron

Still having trouble. I believe my issue is with how to set-up the Barcode field on the Invoices page so that when I scan it will auto populate the Customer information. I can select the Customer from the "Bill To" field and it will now populate in the Barcode along with the other information. When I select the Barcode field and then scan the barcode it does read the correct barcode but doesn't automatically populate the rest of the information. Any suggestions. 

• 12. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                                philmodjunk

My suggestion was in my last post:

And there are two ways that the same relationship can be used to pull up data from a related record. One copies the data into fields of the current record. The other dynamically links to the data in the related record. Which method is best for you depends on choices you or your client make on how you need to work with this information. See this thread for more on that subject: Auto Fill

"Selecting the customer from the bill to field" and Scanning a bar code should both perform the same operation by entering the same customer ID value into the correct match field. Your bar code field and your customer ID field should be one and the same field.

• 13. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                                  ChrisCameron

I have set-up the relationship as in example 1 of the post you referenced. Still not pulling the information off of the barcode even after I created a barcode to reflect the field i already had. Is there another post that I can look at for possible clarification of what I am doing wrong. Thanks. 

• 14. Re: Setting up BarCode Field
                                    philmodjunk

Sounds like the data entered by the bar code scan does not match values to your customer table like it should. I suggest examining the values in your match fields to see if they actually match.

The other possibility is that you don't actually have your relationship set up correctly. I can't tell from here unless you post a screen shot of your relationships.

1 2 Previous Next