4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 1:06 PM by CharlieCarlton-Smith

Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12

CharlieCarlton-Smith

Title

Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to database software and am struggling with URLs in filemaker pro 12.  I have a table of compounds and each compound has a website address for full information on it.  I want this URL to be in my database and clickable such then when it is clicked the corresponding website opens.

I have been able to setup a "website" box/field and can associate a URL with it but all 70 compounds opens the same URL and I want a separate URL for each entry into the database.

It needs to be that people can input the URL into the "website" box/field.  I have spent a long time trying to find the answer to this but alas I have been unsuccessful.  This is both because I am struggling to understand many of the posts but is also because I cannot find a post that addresses this issue.  I found some that were close but I could not get to work.  I have searched the help files and found them to be very unhelpful, especially as it is so difficult to work out the terminology of what to search.

Please can someone give me the steps that I need to do to resolve this?  Any and all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Charlie

• 1. Re: Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12
          MarcMcCall

I typically make the label of the field into a button with conditional formatting that performs an open url script. The conditional formatting changes the color to blue and underlines the label so that it looks like a typical web link when the field is not empty.

You can also set a script trigger to open the url in the field when the field is entered but ad an if statement to the scrit that if the field is empty the script exits.

• 2. Re: Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12
            CharlieCarlton-Smith

Thank you Marc.  I understand the words that you have written and when I try conditional formatting and script trigger I cannot set them up because I do not know what all the options mean.

I have tried "open URL" and then specifying and trying various options to play around with it but all I ever get is "the specified table cannot be found" which unfortunately is no use to me because I do not know what that means.
                 Thus, when I try to add a script trigger by clicking set script triggers I get all these options ( such as "OnObjectEnter") that do not seem like any that you suggested.  So, I do not understand how to "open the URL in the field" or to add an "if" statement.

I think that the filed is setup as a button to open the URL and I can make it open the URL in the field when it is clicked.  The cursor also turns into a hand when over the field.  However, it always opens the same URL and I cannot input any other URLs into other records.  So, in each record, even if the website field/box is empty, I can click it and it opens the same URL.

• 3. Re: Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12
              MarcMcCall

That is why I suggest using the script trigger or use the label as a button. Setting the field up as an actual button is going to make it hard to change anything that is in the field because now the field is a button and wants to open a url instead of letting your cursor in the field to change or add a value (url).

the script triggers:

OnObjectEnter will fire a script when your cursor enters the field.

OnObjectKeystroke will fire when you start typing in a field

OnObjectModify will fire after the field is modified when active

OnObjectValidate will fire before internal validation when an attempt is made to exit the field

OnObjectSave will fire after changes to the selected field are validated and saved

OnObjectExit will run when an attempt is made to exit the active field

The easiest solution for you would be to make the label a button that does the open url. You can set the check box to perform without dialog (no popup)

then on the right hand side click the specify button when the small Open URL Option window opens click specify again and your field list will open. Select the field that your url is in and click OK then OK  then OK again to close all of the dialog windows. Click save layout, and you should be good to go.

• 4. Re: Setting up clickable individual URLs in filemaker pro 12
                CharlieCarlton-Smith

Ahaaaa!  It works!  Thank you so much Marc!  I have been trying to set that up for ages.  Now it works as I would like.  I can tweak the layout to make it clearer, like you said in your first response.

Thank you so much.