4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.

ShaikhAtta1238

Title

Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.

Hello, 

I am working out on a database and it has to be used by a USB and the software is Foreign Language (Pashto). So I have the below queries

1. How can the software work through a USB (Portable)

2. If its on a USB, how can I setup the language (Pashto) also to be on the USB

3. How can I use a dual language option in the database, So when the user clicks the English Language he can type in English and when he click the Pashto language then he can type in Pashto. 

4. Keep the database secure from Viruses. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.
          philmodjunk

By "USB" do you mean a Flash Drive attached via USB to the computer? USB is an interface that can connect any number of different devices most of which are treated as an external drive by the computer to which they are attached.

Simplest might be to use FileMaker Advanced to create a run time file and put the entire solution folder created by this process on your device.

I'm not familiar with the differences between Pashto and English, but generally, you have two options: Two sets of layouts with a script that selects for one set of layouts or the other based on a choice made by the user that sets a value in a global field or layout.

Or

One set of layouts where the label text are taken from fields in a table where there is one set of records for English and Another for Pashto. The user's language selection sets a value in a global field or set of global fields such that they can be used in a relationship that changes the text displayed. Value lists and scripts that display dialogs would like wise have to reference these same fields. (The value lists would need to be conditional value lists with values stored in a table--not custom values.)

If your system has just a few layouts the first option will be less work to set up. If you have a great many layouts, you may find it a better option to use the second method.

• 2. Re: Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.
            ShaikhAtta1238

Thanks Phil , The font for the language has to be installed in the system to be used and yes I want the application to be used on a flash drive (portable), (Can it be edit once a runtime is created for it?)

• 3. Re: Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.

Another option is to add English and Pasto fields within the reacord duplicating each field

First Name English
              First Name Pashto

Last Name English
              Last Name Pashto

Now you could divide your screen in two (figuratively speaking). One the left English and on the right Pashto, or vice versa. Or use a Tab Object and select the tab based on the Operating System Language.

Select the English fields and format with an English font. Select the Pashto fields and format with a Pashto font.

One or the other naming conventions will look wierd so try this: change operating system (and font) and rename those fields in the appropriate languate. Voila... (likewise in Pashto).

Since we've renamed one set of fields then when we format the font the names show up.

For reports, just select the appropriate fields...etc.

The above is theoretical but sounds like it should work especially with both fonts on the computer. 

This method allows for entry in both languages in one record which might be worth the trouble.  Also, if you have both fonts on the computer then the operating system doesn't matter, does it? Assuming that the fonts somewhat compatible size and direction wise, for instance English and Chinese aren't compatible in this technique.

Note: W.E.B. Griffen novels, recent ones anyway, have characters that read and write and speak dozens of languages... English and Russian are fun once you get experienced enough that you find yourself downtown reading signs that no longer make sense...

• 4. Re: Setting Up Database for Portablility w/Foreign Language Implemented.
                philmodjunk

(Can it be edit once a runtime is created for it?)

That depends on the design option. Ideally, you want a data entry operation to be what you use to Select for the perferred language. And data entry is something that's the same for runtime as any other version of FileMaker.

And I can see some nice uses for Jack's suggestion for a paralleled layout.