2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 10:42 AM by philmodjunk

Setting up fields in Layout

JulieByrd

Title

Setting up fields in Layout

I am looking for patterns in microscopic wear on artifacts.  I have already recorded data to describe the type of wear observed and am trying to fit it into my database.

I created five seperate fields to describe patterns of wear on artifacts (drop down choices are in parentheses):

1) direction of wear  (Longitudinal, Oblique, Transverse, Random)
      2)  # location of wear (#)
      3) measured from (base, tip, haft)
      4)  depth of wear (gouge, deep, medium, light, very light)
      5) length of  wear (long, short)

My problem is, sometimes I recorded several sets of this data for a single artifact.  In my database, one record=one artifact.  For example, I have recorded this for a single artifact:

Oblique, 4 mm from base, deep, short

Transverse, 10 mm from tip, medium, short

Oblique, 15 mm from base, deep, long

How do I "duplicate" these 5 fields so I can search for something in all of them?  For example, I will want to pull up all artifacts with Transverse Wear (a drop down option for field 1).  Merely duplicating or copying them does not allow me to enter unique data.  Defining new fields ("Direction of Wear 2", "Location of Wear 2") does not allow me to search for all Transverse Wear... as far as I know.

Please offer advice on how to set it up to be searchable or tell me how to better perform Finds.

Thank you from a new Filemaker user!

• 1. Re: Setting up fields in Layout
          davidanders

When in find mode you can enter transverse, New Record/Request will allow depth to be entered.

Performing the find will find those records that match both Request1 AND Request2.

An additional Request3 and the omit button will find the same records but OMIT the records that match Request3

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5210/~/multiple-find-requests

• 2. Re: Setting up fields in Layout
            philmodjunk

You may also want to consider using two tables:

Artifacts---<Wear    (---< means one to many)

You'd define your 5 wear fields in the Wear table and use an ArtifactID field to link them to a specific record in the Artifacts table. You can then place a portal to Wear on your Artifacts layout and record as many different Wear records for the same Artifact as you need. If you perform a find in this portal for a given wear type, you'll get a list of all Artifacts where at least one record in the portal specifies this wear type. (You can also perform finds of this type direcly on your Wear table to limit results to just the matching wear records and add fields from the related Article table to this layout to see all the info on the article, plus the specified type of wear record.)