AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting up my database is making me feel so dumb!

Question asked by SallyStaples on Jun 17, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Setting up my database is making me feel so dumb!

I used to feel like a competent person, who knew my way around a computer. I knew databases; once upon a time, I even knew Filemaker Pro (that was a verrrry long time ago). Now that I'm trying to set up a database for my own small business, the program seems to have defeated me. Please help!

I am a cat groomer. My business consists of clients, who own cats, which I groom. I need my clients as "parents", each of whom will have one or more cats as "children". I have a nice table and layout for each group, and I even have some buttons and scripts linking them, and I thought I had built my relationships appropriately. Apparently not.

What I want is, after I fill in my client information, to click through to fill in their cat information. There may be more than one cat. I want the cats to show up on the client page (I made a portal), but it's not populating as I want it to. When I'm finished entering all the cats for each client, I want to enter a new client, and their cats. 

Eventually, I'll want to set up bill items, grooming notes, invoices... but that can wait. Having a decent CRM system would be an awesome place to start.

I've been through the guide/manual and Help notes, and the forums, but I just can't find the information that I want. I haven't found a starter solution that provides parent-child set up in a format anything like what I want. 

Can you help? Point me to the right resources? Write my scripts? Tell me what to do?

Thanks!

Sally

Outcomes