4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 4:09 PM by LondonGuy

Setting up tags to search for results.

LondonGuy

Title

Setting up tags to search for results.

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating FileMaker. 

I'd like to know if it's possible to add "tags" to a field. For example, tags for one record could be "buy,filemaker,programming." Another record, could be tagged with "research,multimedia,FCP"

Then  I'd like to be able to able search by tag(s) to find the records that are flagged with the tags. The tags would appear in the left pane, while the results would appear on the right.

Is this something that is easily doable with Filemaker?

Thanks.

Jer 

• 1. Re: Setting up tags to search for results.
          TSGal

LondonGuy:

Thank you for your post.

Although there is no "tagging" in FileMaker Pro, you can create a Text field that contains the key words.  Then, you can search for a key word and have the results appear on the right side.  Not very difficult to set up.

Create a new field "Tag" that results in Text.  You can then enter the tag information into this field.  At any time, you can enter Find Mode (View menu), and enter the tag word and FileMaker will display those records that have that specific result in "Tag". 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Setting up tags to search for results.
            LondonGuy

Hi,

Is it possible to search on multiple tags?

For example: "2008, purchase, software"

It's the searching on multiple tags that  is the crucial piece. I currently do this with Yojimbo, but it doesn't let me export the results in a CSV file. Hence the need to roll my own solution.

Thanks,

Jer 

• 3. Re: Setting up tags to search for results.
              TSGal

LondonGuy:

When you perform a Find, if you put all the words in one find request, it will search for all records that contain ALL three words.  However, in Find mode, if you put in the first word, add a new request (under the Requests menu), enter the next word, add a new request and enter the third word.... then when you press return, it will look for all records that contain any one of those words.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Setting up tags to search for results.
                LondonGuy

Thank you.

It sounds like it will do what I need.

Jer