2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 1:57 PM by JudeAshton

Settings fields so the user has to enter data

JudeAshton

Title

Settings fields so the user has to enter data

Have 6 pages of form layouts, that go in order. After each form(page) there is continue button, with a script that takes it to the next layout.

I have set all the fields on the form to validate "not empty" so FileMaker prompts them if the data hasn't been populated.

However it's kind of not working. I am able to go to the next page using the continue button. Then it at some stage might prompt you to fill the field out on the other layout. The problem is then I can't go back to the layout unless I revert the data.

I don't want the screen to move on till each field is filled. Is this possible or do I have to write a script?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Settings fields so the user has to enter data
          philmodjunk

Have your continue button perform a script such as:

Set Error Capture [on]
               Commit Records[]
               If [Get ( LastError ) > 0 // an error occurred committing the record ]
                 Show Custom Dialog ["Please make sure that all required fields have data]
               Else
                 Go to Layout[//specify next layout here]
               End If

You might also use conditional formatting to automatically highlight all required fields or you can use a more sophisticated script that checks each field in turn when there is an error returned by Get ( LastError ) and puts the focus (cursor) into the first such field found to be empty.

• 2. Re: Settings fields so the user has to enter data
            JudeAshton

Excellent, thank you.