4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 3:02 AM by fluffyone

settup up a form for printing

fluffyone

Title

settup up a form for printing

• 1. Re: settup up a form for printing
          philmodjunk

Any layout in filemaker can be printed. Anything more specific to your question?

• 2. Re: settup up a form for printing
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

I want to have a print button on the form so that the user hits the button and doesn't have to mess about changing the print settings, Do I set up a script to set up the printer to print in landscape?

regards fluffy

• 3. Re: settup up a form for printing
              philmodjunk

One method is to set up a series of "print scripts", each with different restored printer settings. These can specify different printers as well as different page orientations as well as filemaker options such as "records being browsed".

Then you can use these scripts either directly with a print button to print the current layout (you can set a button to be invisible when the layout is printed in the Inspector.) or you can write a longer script that does any other needed steps such as changing layouts, performing finds, sorting records and uses a Perform Script step to call the dedicated "print" script.

The reason you create your dedicated "print" scripts is that you can update all the printing scripts in your system after installing a new printer by simply updating one or a few of the dedicated print scripts instead of hunting through all your scripts and updating each one individually.

This is a trick I learned from a post by TSGal.

• 4. Re: settup up a form for printing
                fluffyone

Hi Phil

Thanks, I think what is confusing is the page setup in layouts, you see the issue when in preview mode. if I make a change it changes all layouts. you should be able to set the print set up for each layout individually. I have set up some scripts to run when the layout opens which works and changes the page layout.

It would be good if Filemaker was a bit more like a desktop publisher with WYSIWYG on screen setup and layouts.

Regards

Fluffy