4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 12:19 PM by Jens Teich

Shared file error message

robo

Title

Shared file error message

I have a FM program with a main module that references to some other fm programms.

Since a period of time I get a message when I call de main module from a shortcut on my desktop.

"Main program" is a shared file. Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume will reduce performance and can affect reliability.

The main module is stored on a central computer on my network together with all the other programms. Only the main module will give this message the others don't. I have unchecked the checkboxes for networksharing in the mainmodule.

Can someone tell me how to get ridd of this message.

Thanks in advance.

I am using FM9 Pro Advanced.

• 1. Re: Shared file error message
          Jens Teich
             Consider using FM Server software. Solves your problem and gives you the ability to schedule automated backups of your files.

Jens

• 2. Re: Shared file error message
            robo

Thanks for the suggestion jens, but I don't like it when suddenly messages apear while I don't know how or why they are generated. I am sure I did something to trigger the share-message but I also want to know how to correct this because the programm "Main" was working fine for a long time before.

So when someone has a good idea to handle the problem, I will be gratefull.

Robo

• 3. Re: Shared file error message
              TSGal

RoBo:

Thank you for your post.

Launch FileMaker Pro, and select "Open Remote..." from the File menu.  This is the proper way to select a FileMaker Pro file when it does not reside on the local computer.  You should not open it directly from the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Shared file error message
                Jens Teich
                   The only way to avoid this message is storing the databases directly on the machine which opens them as first FM client (when working without FM Server).

Jens