5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 11:02 AM by schmity

Shared Login Accounts

schmity

Title

Shared Login Accounts

Are there any problems that would arise from multiple users sharing a login account?  We have a database that employees can submit vacation requests through, and rather than creating 150 accounts (and spending all day resetting forgotten passwords) all the employees use the same account to submit these requests.  This is all done via Web Direct.

Its a fairly simple database.  There is a New Request Button that is scripted to go to a layout and create a new record.  This layout is a form with a few fields (name, department, employee number, dates, etc.).  When they are done, they use the submit button that is scripted to do some custom validation, send an email and commit the record.

Occasionally, users report that when they click the New Request button, instead of seeing a blank form (record), they see another users form already filled out.  I have never been able to duplicate it, but someone mentioned that it happened yesterday.  After speaking with them, User 1 was filling out a request (but still in the record), and user 2 hit new request and saw user 1's request filled out (instead of a blank record).  I tried to duplicate the same conditions several times today and never saw this happen.

Is this caused by the same account being logged in to the server more than once? If so, is there anyway to prevent this or does everyone need their own account?

• 1. Re: Shared Login Accounts
          philmodjunk

We use a low level access account for most of our employees here. It works as long as you understand the limitations. For one thing, we can't use the account name to identify which employee created or last modified a particular record. This is an old "legacy" system where we have a different system (that I would not use in a new database today) that handles that issue for us so it works for us. (I actually set up one account for the user name specified on each computer with the same password so that users don't have to change account names, just enter a password no matter which computer they use as these employees often use different computers on different days--again, I know of a better approach now, but this works so haven't bothered to implement differently.)

I can't tell from here why your employees are seeing each other's records, but it's probably due to either a timing and/or a record locking issue. I suggest that you avoid the problem by setting up a layout for this where all of the fields on the layout into which the user will enter/select data for their vacation request are global fields. Then add a Save button that creates a new record and uses Set Field steps to copy the data from the global fields into the new record thus created. One user cannot see the changes made to a global field by other users so this automatically keeps users from being able to see the data input by others on this layout.

• 2. Re: Shared Login Accounts
            philmodjunk

PS. It's possible to use scripts to manage all of your accounts and passwords on your system and this can make "creating 150 accounts (and spending all day resetting forgotten passwords)" less of a chore than you might think.

• 3. Re: Shared Login Accounts
              schmity

So if I have 3 people logged in as "Employee", would those global fields be unique to each of those 3 sessions or be identical to that user across all 3 sessions?  The FileMaker documentation says they are global to the user.

• 4. Re: Shared Login Accounts
                philmodjunk

Yes. to repeat:

One user cannot see the changes made to a global field by other users

Also: the changes made to a global field by a client of a hosted database will not persist when they close the file. The values will revert back to the values last set to the file before it was hosted or when last modified directly on the host computer (such as via a Perform on Server script or a server scheduled script.)

• 5. Re: Shared Login Accounts
                  schmity

thanks.  I was equating users with accounts.