6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2009 7:15 PM by davidanders

Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)

joeworkman

Title

Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)

I recently started a new business with a friend of mine. We actually decided to give Bento v2.0 a shot because of ease of use and cost. We are currently syncing Bento databases via Dropbox (getdropbox.com). I know that this is not a supported feature but I thought that it may work well. Sadly, I am not sure that it will. We have to ensure that we never have the database open at the same time. That is hard to do since we are constantly away from each other. I have already experienced data and work disappearing because we had the database open simultaneously.

The database that we have is basically a CRM type database to help us manage prospects, contacts, and current projects.

Enter Filemaker Pro . . . 

I already own Filemaker Pro 9.0v3. I was wondering if I can accomplish what I want without upgrading to FM 10. I would like to be able to have a centrally shared database that we can both access and modify. Here are a few questions that I have. 

Do I have to get a service to host my database or can I use any service (Dropbox or MobileMe)? 

I would love the ability to access the data while not on the internet. Is that possible? maybe read-only at least?

Again, can I accomplish this with FM 9 or do I have to upgrade?

Lastly, is there a huge difference in the usability of FM 10? Has it inherited some of the ease of use features of Bento?

Cheers,

Joe 

• 1. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
          TSGal

joeworkman:

Thank you for your post.

From your description, the new features of FileMaker Pro 10 will probably not assist you, so you don't need to upgrade to FileMaker Pro 10 (obviously, I'm not in Sales).

If your machine has its own static IP address, then you can share your file over the web with five users.  That means, you can leave the file open on that machine, and be anywhere in the world to access it.

You can also have your file open on the machine, and have other FileMaker Pro users access to your machine, provided they know your IP address.

If you don't have a static IP address, then you will need a service that can host the database.  I don't believe Dropbox or MobileMe have FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server running, so that may not work.

There are some nice features of FileMaker Pro 10.  I would look on our web site first for information, and then download a 30-day trial version so you can play with it.

Let me know if you need any additional information or clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
            Sorbsbuster

TSGal - several times recently people have asked how they can access their FM files across the web without having a static IP address.  Is there a reason why you don't recommend using a dynamic-address 'forwarder', such as DynDNS?

I haven't used it to access a Filemaker file (though I intend to try, soon), but I use it to access an FTP folder inside my '192.168.x.x' private IP range, and it works a dream.

Alan.

• 3. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
              joeworkman

Thank you very much for the response! What about offline work? Would it be possible to at least view cached version of the database if I was say on an airplane and did not have an internet connection to my database. 

Cheers,

Joe 

• 4. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
                TSGal

Sorbsbuster:

Thank you for your post.

I am not familiar with DynDNS, so I have no idea if it works.  This would be an excellent third-party resource, providing it works. Please report back any findings!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
                  Sorbsbuster

While I go off and learn how to get my local FM Host and the port-forwarding of my router to work in harmony, the rest of you guys who've already got IWP to work should be able to do this easily (if my theory works):

- Log on to http://www.dyndns.com/ and get yourself a free account and a look-a-like domain name.

- If you've been able to connect to your FM database through IWP because it's a fixed (costly) IP address, or because you got someone to tell you at that moment what the dynamic IP of your router was, then all you have to do is substitute that IP address for the easily-readable name you just booked yourself at DynDNS.  (Like: 'MyFilemakerServer.selfip.net'.)

- From simple  'pinging' to 'FTP Serving' I can make the direct substitution of that DynDNS-registered 'fixed, English-language' address for a dynamic IP address work perfectly well.

- DynDNS will constantly update its router table so that any request for 'MyFilemakerServer.selfip.net' will be forwarded to your router, in spite of the router itself being issued with a changing, dynamic, address by your ISP.

Effectively, if you've solved all of your IWP access problems except for the 'dynamic IP address' issue, this is the missing piece of the jigsaw.

Sorry I can't fairly try my own idea, as right now I can't even get my router to share my FM file even when I *do* know it's public IP address...

HTH somebody,

Alan.

• 6. Re: Sharing a Database Over the Web (FM 9 vs FM 10)
                    davidanders

1 thing to keep in mind.

If you have a dynamc IP address, it may remain the same for years.

BUT it CAN change at a moments notice, especially when the DSL or Cable Modem/Router is restarted (especially after a power outage).

DynDNS.org seems to be reliable.