1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 8:19 AM by philmodjunk

Sharing a db over the network, possible conflicts?

JohnDee

Title

Sharing a db over the network, possible conflicts?

Here's my shared fm db scenario. I am running an iwp set up with filemaker pro on a windows server, serving up to 5 users concurrently via the browser environment. 

I've also got a local copy of fm, which I plan to use to modify the db that is hosted on the company network. Nothing saved locally that is.

Will I run into trouble with this set up? Does fm realise it's opening a shared db and if not, how do I notify it?

• 1. Re: Sharing a db over the network, possible conflicts?
          philmodjunk

If you use open remote to access the database, you should gain access to your database and the fact that you have opened the database as a FileMaker client won't keep your "up to 5 IWP users" from accessing the database at the same time.

BUT making design changes to a hosted database while it is in use is very risky. Simply opening Manage | Database and examining a field's auto-Enter calculation locks all other users out of modifying any record in the entire table. If a script is run by another user that attempts to modify records in that same table, the results could be catastrophic.

Any network glitches while committing a design change can damage your file.

And any sudden change in database function brought about your your changes--possibly in the middle of a user's interactions with the database could "catch them between stools" leading to any number of problems.

Small adjustments to layouts and scripts are not as dangerous--I often make those adjustments myself, but there is still a risk of trouble.