3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 12:10 AM by Sorbsbuster

Sharing a file worldwide

Confused2

Title

Sharing a file worldwide

My partner and I need to both have 24/7 access to a filemaker database we both work on. She has FM Pro 7 running on a PC in the US. I have FM Pro 8 running on a Mac in Europe. We don't want to set up our own server since neither of us are always around...we travel a lot. Is there a hosting service that can take care of this for us?

• 1. Re: Sharing a file worldwide
          Sorbsbuster

Yes.  Search for 'filemaker hosting services' in google and there are lots.

• 2. Re: Sharing a file worldwide
            Confused2

Thanks. Yes, I had already tried that. A bit confusing for a person who has limited knowledge of all the offerings. Websites, emails, GBs etc that are included in prices. What I am looking for is simply a place to locate our file so we can each read, download, edit, upload the file as needed. Nothing more than that. Any recommendations.

• 3. Re: Sharing a file worldwide
              Sorbsbuster

Don't dismiss the idea of hosting it yourself.  The only thing standing in your way is that neither of your laptops is permanently connected to the web.  So, do you have access to any other PC that could be left running?  Friend, family, colleague, old laptop sitting in the cupboard...?  With only two of you using the file it will hardly take a hammering on bandwidth.  The only cost will be another FM Client - don't know how that compares to monthly hosting charges.