13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 8:44 AM by TSGal

Sharing a license

mkwescott

Title

Sharing a license

After searching the message boards it still is not totally clear to me whether a license can be shared with another computer.  It is me and another person in my office and we would not be using Filemaker at the same time.  If this is the case can we install it on both computers with the same license so she can do the data entry for me or do we need two separate licenses?  

Thanks to anyone who can provide me some insight here!

• 1. Re: Sharing a license
          TSGal

mkwestcott:

Thank you for your post.

When FileMaker Pro launches, it looks across the network for the same license key.  If it doesn't find another copy, then FileMaker Pro launches.  Therefore, if you have two computers, and you put the one copy of FileMaker Pro on each computer, you can run FileMaker Pro from both machines, but not simultaneously.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sharing a license
            nate999

TSGal -  does this answer apply to FileMaker Pro v 10?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Sharing a license
              philmodjunk
                 This is true for all versions of FMP as far back as 5.5 at least.
              • 4. Re: Sharing a license
                nate999

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I've confused license and activation. My question really is:  if I have one copy of FMP 10 that I use on the network in the office from my desktop computer, can I install the same license key on my notebook that I would use offline, on the road?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Sharing a license
                  philmodjunk
                     Speaking strictly from a technical perspective (not a legal or moral one :smileywink: ), you can with no trouble.
                  • 6. Re: Sharing a license
                    nate999

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that from a legal perspective I should not be doing this even though I would only use one copy at a time?

...Nate

• 7. Re: Sharing a license
                      philmodjunk
                         I'm saying that I'm not a lawyer and haven't carefully read filemaker's license agreement recently. Filemaker would probably tell you that you are in violation of the license agreement.
                      • 8. Re: Sharing a license
                        TSGal

nate999:

Many users want to use their copy at home and on the road, so it is fine to load it on both machines.  However, don't try to use them both at the same time, for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Sharing a license
                          jchang_1

TSGAL:

I have read the points above and just wanted some clarification. We have bought 10+ Pro licenses for our company. From a legal standpoint, are we allowed to install the application on as many company client/user PCs as we need, keeping in mind that only '10+' clients are able to concurrently connect to the server?

If this is the case, which versions do this rule apply to?

J

• 10. Re: Sharing a license
                            TSGal

jchang:

Thank you for your post.

Assuming you purchased a site license for ten users, you can install FileMaker Pro on more than ten computers.  When an eleventh user tries to launch FileMaker Pro, that user will receive an error message.

If you purchased ten individual licenses, then just make sure two users are not opening FileMaker Pro at the same time, or they will receive a message that someone with that the license key is currently in use.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Sharing a license
                              jchang_1

Great. Thanks TSGal.

J

• 12. Re: Sharing a license
                                morgan_1
                                   im still confused. i have two computers at home, in different rooms. no network. i have fmp on one of them. can i put fmp on the other one with one license ? i wouldnt use them at the same time.
                                • 13. Re: Sharing a license
                                  TSGal

morgan:

The first provision in the license states:

"You may install and use only one copy of the Software on a single computer at a time."

Therefore, you can install FileMaker Pro on both machines, but you cannot run the two copies simultaneously.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.