2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 8:46 AM by philmodjunk

Sharing data between tables

NATF

Title

Sharing data between tables

I'm new to FileMaker Pro and am in need of help.  I used to Access where you can create relationships between tables so that entering data in one table will automatically be entered in a 2nd connected table.  Can this be done in FileMaker Pro and if so, how?

• 1. Re: Sharing data between tables
          Rramjet

Hi NATF -

Your question relates to one of the most basic of general FMP functionalities (in other words in most certainly can be done). However, it is practically beyond the scope of one person in this forum to answer your (very) general "how?" question. I suggest therefore you start by looking under "About relationships" in the FMP help file or search under "about" or "creating" relationships in the Support Knowledge Base on this website. You will find a wealth of information there that should answer your question.

All the best,

Rramjet

• 2. Re: Sharing data between tables
            philmodjunk

NATF wrote:
            I'm new to FileMaker Pro and am in need of help.  I used to Access where you can create relationships between tables so that entering data in one table will automatically be entered in a 2nd connected table.  Can this be done in FileMaker Pro and if so, how?

I'm very familiar with both Access and Filemaker. In neither system do you actually "create relationships between tables so that entering data in one table will automatically be entered in a 2nd connected table" in most cases. Instead, you create a relationship linking the two tables so that information stored in one table can be matched to a related record or records in a 2nd table. In access, you can use the relationships tool or create an SQL expression in Visual Basic or in the Query Manager that links the two tables. In filemaker, you'll always need to create relationships by using File | Manage | Relationships. This tool works in a manner very similar to that of MS Access' relationships tool.

You'll also want to look up "Portals" in Filemaker's built in help system. You'll find that it is similar to a sub-form in MS access.