7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 4:50 PM by ColinBayliss

Sharing Database Over Network

ColinBayliss

Title

Sharing Database Over Network

Can anyone please, please, help with sharing across a network? I have built my first application and sharing for up to five users is ample.

I would like to store the file on a virtual network so the first user who accesses becomes the host, rather than specify one PC to become the host and have to open the application every day. The application is to be used from a single PC at a locatiion, across four locations.

I am not ready for web publishing as my tests have thrown all the carefully prepared icons and layout out. By using network sharing for 'beta testing' I can move towards web publisihing later, but am not ready for that now (security of data is important to the Client)

I also I dont want to have to have my PC as the host PC. The routers across the four sites do not seem to support setting up a VPN so I thought about cloud storage, but they seem to all work on a sync to your offline version rather than actually opening the application in the cloud. This means you end up with conflicting copies - why when you ahev all of Filemakers functionality available!

Has anyone found the best way to connect the PCs into a virtual network? 

Your thoughts really would be appreciated

Colin

• 1. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
          davidanders

This is not recommended by Filemaker or experienced users.  The risk of data corruption is high and thus rigorous backup is essential.

There are several options - one is having the database hosted by a FMP hosting service. NeoCode in Vancouver BC will do so for $15 / month.

Read the Dropbox experiences in the links of this Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dropbox+filemaker

• 2. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
            ColinBayliss

Many thanks for looking at this. I was hoping to be able to store the container files in separate folder in the same space. Can I store non FMP files on the FMP Hosting Service?

I ahve been using Dropbox whilts building so far to communicate with the Client and you can see the conflicting copies you get are a nightmare

• 3. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
              Sorbsbuster

There are cheap (or free) VPN clients available if you want to go that way.

The FM file will be protected by the security of your account names and passwords (or not, if they are weak).  If you know the 4 locations you can limit access (on the router) by IP address.

I often find that client's demand of the served file is high by their standards and low by FM's standards, and can be hosted on a quite low-spec workstation.  Even for your current testing I would be inclined to share the file with your client.  Dropbox is just doing what it is designed to do - and that is not hosting multi-user files.

• 4. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
                ColinBayliss

Thanks for your reply. I need to look more into this. The business works from 07:30 to 18:30 but I couldnt say which location would boot the workstation first in the morning. If I have compiled into Runtime solutions would any of the locations become the host that way? 

• 5. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
                  Sorbsbuster

Runtime solutions can't be shared, so there is no concept of a 'host'.

• 6. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
                    philmodjunk

Just nitpicking here...

Runtime solutions can be shared if you use FileMaker server to host the runtime file, but run time solutions cannot be used as clients of the hosted database file so this becomes essentially the same thing as using server to host a regular filemaker file--either way you need separate installs of Filemaker Pro on each work station so that they can access the hosted database.

• 7. Re: Sharing Database Over Network
                      ColinBayliss

Thanks all for the really useful input. It looks like I need to get a Filemaker Pro Hosting account for peer to peer networking. I have started talking to Triple8 Netwok as they have appeared high in Google and dont appear to have a restriction on the number of databases/files I can store. Am now planning to store all the container files in the same space to keep the FM db as compact as possible