1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 9:49 AM by TSGal

Sharing Database with others

ohhhmy

Title

Sharing Database with others

Hi Everyone,

I am using a macbook pro in which I store my clients and would like to share it with my assistant that works from home. What type of setup and requirments do I need to share my database with my assistant. She will need to have the ability to edit contact information and add notes.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sharing Database with others
          rstone

I'm assuming your assistant also has a computer with a copy of filemaker on their computer.

First, you'll need to make sure your computer is accessible from your assistant's computer.  Check your IP address by opening either the network settings in your control panel or opening a terminal and typing ifconfig.  If your IP address either starts with 10. or 192.168., you're behind a router.  You'll need to make note of your IP address and set your router to forward that internal IP address to the internet on port 5003.  If your IP address doesn't start with those numbers, you're directly connected to the internet and are probably fine leaving things alone.  Also, if you're behind a router, you'll need your internet IP address - type "what is my ip address" in google and click "I'm feeling lucky".

From there - it's all filemaker config.  Make sure your file is shared under File -> Sharing -> Filemaker Network, and you have proper security set up on the file in case intruders happen to browse for your file.  

Your assitant will open filemaker, and do a File -> Open Remote ->  And add your IP address (external one) to their hosts list.  From there, they will be able to browse all files you have shared.

Simple, huh?  :) 

• 2. Re: Sharing Database with others
            ohhhmy

Very cool. Easy enough... For security purposes, can I host my database on a website I own and have both of us log into the webpage and use the data there?

Technically, doing it your way, don't they have entire access to my computer files?

• 3. Re: Sharing Database with others
              rstone

Nope, you can't host it from a website, unless the host specifically supports FMserver, which it likely doesn't.  You can turn on web sharing from your own computer, but things might get even more complicated for you from there.  

You can upload the database to a website, but then your assitant will just be downloading the file.  If they make changes, they'd have to re-upload it for you to see changes when you download it.  Bad solution.

Enabling sharing over a single filemaker database on your computer doesn't give them access to anything on your hard drive other than that shared database, and only through a filemaker client.  You're thinking of file sharing, which you shouldn't enable, unless you really know what you're doing.

Also, you'll need to make sure you leave the filemaker application open and running on your computer.  And don't close the lid on your mac. 

• 4. Re: Sharing Database with others
                ohhhmy

Just out of curiousity. How much would an FMserver cost monthly and would it be worth it?

Thanks again for all your help, i'm going to give it a shot later tonight. Much appreciated! 

• 5. Re: Sharing Database with others
                  rstone

The server software is $1000, on top of whatever hardware you want to run it on.

If there's just a couple of you using a shared database, no, don't bother.  Filemaker client has most of the same functionality. 

• 6. Re: Sharing Database with others
                    TSGal

ohhhmy:

Thank you for your post.

Let me make a clarification.

If you put FileMaker Pro and the file on the server, and turn on Instant Web Publishing, then both you and your assistant can log onto the file via a browser and update information.  Here is how it is done...

1. Go to your server, launch FileMaker Pro, and open the database file.

2. Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing..."

3. Turn on Instant Web Publishing, and the IP address will be displayed.  Copy this down.

4. In the bottom left, under "Currently open files", select the file you want others to access.

5. In the bottom right, set the File access to All Users (or you can specify the privilege set).

6. Click OK.

7. Go to another machine and launch a browser.  Enter:

http:// <ip address from step #3 above>

Your files should now become visible to select and use.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Sharing Database with others
                      ohhhmy
                         Holy Crap. THANKS SO MUCH. I just tried it on my computer and it worked! Now I just need to forward my local ip which is 10.0.1.3 to a permanent one. Any tips on how to do that?
                      • 8. Re: Sharing Database with others
                        ohhhmy
                           Since my assistant works from home a few cities away. =)
                        • 9. Re: Sharing Database with others
                          TSGal

ohhhmy:

You need a static IP address for someone in another city to access.  It sounds like you have a dynamic address that is assigned to you.  You mentioned you had a website, so that would need a static IP address.

Once you get the file and FileMaker Pro on that machine with a static IP address, then you should be good to go.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Sharing Database with others
                            ohhhmy

I do have a website but I do not host my website.. midphase does.. Since I don't have a static IP, what are my options?

Thanks

• 11. Re: Sharing Database with others
                              TSGal

ohhhmy:

If you don't have a static IP, you may need to find an ISP that hosts FileMaker Pro files for a monthly fee.

Using an internet search engine, search for - FileMaker Hosting Service - and there should be several listed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Sharing Database with others
                                rstone

A static IP isn't completely necessary.  A dynamic IP will still work just as well, it just has the chance of changing every now and then (it could stay the same for weeks or months).  You can use a dynamic DNS service to assign yourself a DNS name that stays the same no matter what your numeric IP address does.

http://www.dyndns.com/ 

Also - the IP address you tested yourself won't be visible to anyone else outside your office / home.  You're going to need to get into your router's administration panel to do some port forwarding.  If you don't control your router, tell your IT person that you need to forward your port.  It will be port 80 if you're doing web sharing, 5003 if you're doing filemaker native.

• 13. Re: Sharing Database with others
                                  ohhhmy

I just signed up for the dyndns. Is it the free service that I need to use?If so, can you provide step by step on the additional steps I need to do. Much appreciated.

• 14. Re: Sharing Database with others
                                    rstone

Free service is completely adequate.  You essentially pick a username, and will end up with ohhhmy.dyndns.org as your IP address, rather than some complicated number.

As far as your router administration - I don't know what to tell you.  Dig up the manual that came with it and find out the IP address that you'll need to type into a web browser to get to the control panel, along with a username password.  From there, find a setting called Port Forwarding (sometimes has a gaming reference), and set the port forwarding necessary. 

1 2 Previous Next