AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sharing Databases

Question asked by Kevin on Jun 8, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Sharing Databases

Hello, I am currently working on Filemaker Pro 8.5, off of a Mac.

I am having a problem with sharing databases across our SAN server.  We are on a shared network, but when one person has the file open, the other is not allowed to access it.  I went to this page: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6095/kw/server%20file%20share and began to follow the instructions, but am unsure of how to go through with the last part.  My firewall is off, but then it gives instructions on how to set up a proxy through which those involved can both access the document through a remote connection.  "Mac OS: If you are unable to share files on a local network, verify on the host computer that either the Mac OS Sharing firewall has been turned off, or that you have added an open network port configuration for port 5003 to the system sharing preferences. For more information about the Mac OS Sharing firewall and adding a network port configuration, see Mac OS Help."

I looked for more detailed instructions by looking for a Mac OS help section, and searching their help center for "network port configuration," but came up empty handed both times.  Can somebody please give me a step by step on how to do this (the network port configuration)? Or any other measures I can take so that more than one person can access the database at the same time?

Thank you, 

-Kevin

Outcomes