9 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 11:14 AM by lwood

Sharing DB

lwood

Title

Sharing DB

Hello All,

I'm a newcomer to both FM & this forum, my problem is getting a DB to be shared among 4 users on a Mac LAN, I've followed the setup for sharing from my machine as host, when I try to open the DB ( located in my drop folder) from a client machine the Mac says it can't find application to open the file, so then connect to my HD &  open my version of FM, FM then throws up the registration screen with fields filled, asks me to activate, click on that, another screen pops up, asking me for a response code from customer service. If I click on activate later, get a blank window with OK button.

I thought I could share a DB across a network without each machine needing FM.

Using FM Pro v. 9, Mac Pro, OS 10.5.8.  Additional note-client machine is using OS 10.4, although didn't think it would matter. Sharing is set on both machines, firewall turned off.

TIA,

Lee

• 1. Re: Sharing DB
          philmodjunk

To share the database, you either use web publishing to publish the data base and other users connect via their web-browser application or each user must have a copy of filemaker on their computer.

• 2. Re: Sharing DB
            lwood

Phil,

Thanks for the response, will try the web publishing angle, our company won't spring for 3 additional lincenses; they might go for Bento, can Bento open a FM  DB?

Thanks again,

Lee

• 3. Re: Sharing DB
              PointInSpace

You may want to consider a professional hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

This would gain you the added benefit of being on FileMaker Server Advanced, on true server-class hardware, 24/7 monitored and maintained by an experienced company.  Feel free to let me know if you have any questions here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com

- John

• 4. Re: Sharing DB
                lwood

John,

Thanks for the advise, I'll pass it along to the powers that be.

Lee

• 5. Re: Sharing DB
                  lwood

Phil,

Now I've gone & tripped up things royally, not sure what I did while setting up a priviledge set for our dept but now the "Manage DB", "Accounts & Priviledges" are dimmed out. When I launch the DB on the web, I can log in under the priviledge set I assigned, & there are several other issues, but first & foremost how can I get back the "Manage DB" & "Accounts & Priviledges"?

TIA

Lee

• 6. Re: Sharing DB
                    philmodjunk

When you use filemaker to open the file, are you asked for a password or does it just open?

• 7. Re: Sharing DB
                      lwood

It opens without asking for password

• 8. Re: Sharing DB
                        philmodjunk

I'm guessing you may have used file options to specify an account name and password to be automatically entered when the file is opened.

Since you're on a Mac, hold down the option key while opening the file, and it'll ask you for a password. Enter a full access password and these options will no longer be greyed out. (Use the shift key for this on Windows systems.)

• 9. Re: Sharing DB
                          lwood

Great! that worked! Thanks very much!

Now, on to the IWP issues......

There are 3 buttons that don’t show, cursor changes to hand when mouse over, & button descriptions are not in same place as FM, some at top, middle inrelation to button. Descriptions are bottom aligned in FM.
                          There are 3 fields that are repeated, & will autofill the data entered into the first one, this works in FM but not on web.
                          There are 3 drop down value lists that are a different style in web version, & won’t allow editing.
                          When printing, buttons & descriptions print, plus sidebar.

Using DB in FireFox v. 3.6.3, tried Safari, issues are pretty much the same.