3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 3:25 AM by mr.b.

Sharing file on same computer, different user accounts, used to work but now doesn't! Help!

mr.b.

Title

Sharing file on same computer, different user accounts, used to work but now doesn't! Help!

Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help. My wife's Osteopathic practice runs a small patient db that does billing payment as well as patient records. There is only ever one person working there, so I had an Admin account that hosted the file running on Filemaker 10.3, then the relevant user opened it as a remote file in FIlemaker 11.4. This has worked perfectly for the past two years.

We've decided to update to a new iMac running Lion from an old eMac and I can no longer get this to work. I tried migrating everything first and could get one of the two user accounts to see the remote file, but not the second. I have tried creating dummy user accounts and a new admin account etc but now no users can see the remote file. Ironically if the eMac is turned on any user account can see the remote file ok, it's only user accounts on the same host computer that can't see it.

I'm desperate to get this going today so she can use it tomorrow, have spent countless hours working on it but can not suss it. Any suggestions very very welcome!

• 1. Re: Sharing file on same computer, different user accounts, used to work but now doesn't! Help!
          philmodjunk

Since you've installed FileMaker on a different computer (If I follow all the details correctly), have you enabled sharing for FileMaker on this new computer? This is an option in the File menu.

• 2. Re: Sharing file on same computer, different user accounts, used to work but now doesn't! Help!
            mr.b.

Hi Phil,

Thanx for the reply. Sadly yes i've checked and re checked that, turned it off, turned it back on, rebbooted and re installed but still no joy. I just spoke to Filemaker tech support and they are saying that it's something with Lion and they can't help. Although they don'y know what it is!?

Any other suggestions from anyone, very greatfully received.

What I am tryign to achieve is a secure way to let a user access a file on the same machine without any way of them being able to get to or copy the file. If anyone has a better way of doing that, I'd also be glad to hear it. The Users have different accounts and priviledges already and ideally I need two people to be able to access the file at once.

Thanx in advance!

• 3. Re: Sharing file on same computer, different user accounts, used to work but now doesn't! Help!
              mr.b.

Just in case anyone else ever comes across this problem, a very helpful man called Joakim at Filemaket Tech Support in the UK has helped me solve it.

It appears that there may be a conflict with FMP 10 Advanced and Lion, although they couldn't re create the problem the fix was: Instead of looking for Local hosts when opening the remote file, go to favourite hosts and enter 127.0.0.1 as teh ip address. This essentially gives you an an internal connection regardless of the network and, for me, worked perfectly.

I hope this helps someone else, although I appreciate most people don't run a small system like this, although maybe that's because they don't know they can!

Thanx to Joakim.