3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 12:22 AM by Sorbsbuster

Sharing FMP Files and Server Thoughts Needed

AmyKraunz

Title

Sharing FMP Files and Server Thoughts Needed

Hi everyone. I just finished building a database for my child's school and need some help with the next step. For the moment I have a copy of FMP and the Office Mgr has a copy of FMP, BUT the school does not have a server. I can sortof do instant web publishing, but they are on a different router and even IF it was the same router, my computer would need to be on all the time for other people to access the file. The school is willing to buy more copies of the program, but we need a common place for people to open the file from. Is it possible to use Google Docs as a cloud type server? Any other ideas/options that I am not thinking of? Ideally it would be great to always have file open on one computer as then with 2 copies of license agreement 10 people can access via instant web publishing, but not sure how to do this. Thanks so much for any help!

• 1. Re: Sharing FMP Files and Server Thoughts Needed
          philmodjunk

You can't use a cloud server. Any computer on the school's network can be set up to function as the server as long as it meets the minimum system requirements for FileMaker Pro, but the faster the system the better performance you can get.

There are also FileMaker hosting companies that can host your database for you in exchange for a monthly fee.

• 2. Re: Sharing FMP Files and Server Thoughts Needed
            davidanders

One or more databases hosted by Filemaker Pro or Filemaker Advanced allows 9 different copies of Filemaker access it (them) at one time.

5 concurrent (at the same time) can access the database(s) through browsers with IWP.

IWP requires the computers to be on the same network, OR the port (usually 591) can be set to be forwarded to the hosting computer.

http://portforward.com  gives the instructions for doing the port forwarding on many router models.

Two copies of Filemaker will not change the 9 FMP user limit or the 5 user IWP limit for accessing the database(s).

• 3. Re: Sharing FMP Files and Server Thoughts Needed
              Sorbsbuster

You don't clarify whether you are looking to access the file from outside your network (such as from home) or whether you are trying to minimise the number of FMP licenses you need.