9 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 11:06 AM by yuichim

Sharing issue?

yuichim

Title

Sharing issue?

Hi, for some reason when I open my project file this windows pops up.   I've tried looking at many places but no sharing is turned on.  Any idea where I can fix this?

Screen_shot_2011-05-04_at_9.41.17_AM.png

• 1. Re: Sharing issue?

Yuichi Murakami:

Thanks for posting.

You may want to check to see if FileMaker Server is currently installed. Since it runs in the background, it's easy to install and forget about. Open the Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities and make sure that All Processes is selected in the drop down menu to the left of the search box. Then, take a look through the list for the fmserverd process. If you see it, you'll need to uninstall FileMaker Server by running the FileMaker Server installer.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sharing issue?
            yuichim

Hi TSBear,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I did check the Activity Monitor and sure enough fmserverd was running.  The only funny thing is that I've never installed any kind of Filemaker Server software in my laptop.  Why do you think this was installed?   Do you think it was a part of Filemaker Advanced software?
            I have both Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Pro Advanced installed in my laptop.

• 3. Re: Sharing issue?
              philmodjunk

It's not part of FileMaker advanced, and while harmless, you don't actually need to have both installed on the same machine. FileMaker Advanced does everything FileMaker Pro does plus has added features.

• 4. Re: Sharing issue?

Yuichi Murakami:

We've had instances where people mistake the FileMaker Server 11 Advanced trial for a trial of FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced. This is probably due to the fact that we don't offer a trial of the Pro Advanced version. Either way, I'm glad you're able to share now!

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Sharing issue?
                  yuichim

Thanks for your posts guys! 

For the fmserverd, installing the  trial version must have been the case.   I used the filemaker server  install disk and uninstalled it :)

However, now there is a new window popping up....  and it is saying:

FileMaker cannot share a file because FileMaker network sharing is turned off....... 

I have a multi file solution consisting of Interface file and data file.
                  What I am trying to do is opening up the adminApp.fp7 (interface file) and in the adminApp.fp7, I added a table from mainData.fp7 (data file).
                  When I try to access the layout using the table from mainData.fp7, then the alert pops up...
                  Do I have to enable network sharing on the mainData.fp7 or in adminApp.fp7 even though these files will be hosted in the filemaker server later on?

• 6. Re: Sharing issue?
                    philmodjunk

It means that when you Launch FileMaker and choose Sharing | FileMaker Network Sharing you should find that network sharing is turned off. This is the setting for your local copy of FileMaker Pro, so you don't have to change it unless you plan to host databases over the network using FileMaker on this machine as the host. If you just need to open files for development work here or to connect to files hosted on another machine, you don't have to change this setting.

• 7. Re: Sharing issue?

Yuichi Murakami:

This message will come up if you have FileMaker Network Sharing disabled (in File -> Sharing -> FileMaker Network) and you log in with an account that has the fmapp extended privilege enabled (Setup through File -> Manage -> Security -> Extended Privileges). To resolve this, you can either enable FileMaker Network Sharing or remove the extended privilege from the account you're logging in with.

TSBear
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Sharing issue?
                        yuichim

Thanks guys! I double checked in the extended privileges in the mainData.fp7, couple  of the privilegesets were turned on, so I unchecked the box and sure  enough, the alert disappeared!!   It all now works great! Thanks guys!!!!!!!

• 9. Re: Sharing issue?
                          yuichim

I made a mistake and chose my post as best answer.... I meant to do it to one post previous to mine.  Im sorry....