5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 4:15 PM by philmodjunk

Sharing multimedia files between computers

KelseyMagnuson

Title

Sharing multimedia files between computers

I've installed filemaker on my and my boss's computers.  I've shared my database with her computer and she can see the data fine except for all the quicktime movies i have linked to each record.  It's says that the content is unknown.  I can watch all the media on my end and for some reason it won't translate to her's.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Sharing multimedia files between computers
          philmodjunk

Does she have quick time installed on her computer?

Quicktime movies can only be "stored by Reference" when inserted in a container field. If you do not share the folder so that you can directly access the files from your bosses' computer--with a filepath identical to the filepath used to originally insert the movie file, you will not be able to open/play them from her computer.

• 2. Re: Sharing multimedia files between computers
            KelseyMagnuson

Yes she has quicktime.  I made her computer an admin as well when i set up the sharing. 

• 3. Re: Sharing multimedia files between computers
              philmodjunk

Yes, but where are the actual quicktime movies located? On your computer? In a folder that's shared?

The container field isn't storing a copy of the movie file, only the filepath needed to find and open it.

• 4. Re: Sharing multimedia files between computers
                KelseyMagnuson

Oh right.  The files are located on our work shared drive on our server.  Which she has full access to on her computer.

• 5. Re: Sharing multimedia files between computers
                  philmodjunk

Does she have that drive mapped/mounted on her computer the same way you do?

Inserting the movie file inserts the file path to that shared directory. If she didn't map/mount it the same way, the file will not be accessible in FileMaker from her computer.

Try this test:

Insert a movie file from the server into a container field from her computer. Then try to play this movie from your computer.

If you can insert movies from the server on either computer but can play the same movie on each computer, then likely the shared directory has a different file path on each machine. (Just using a different drive letter or server name will do this.)

You can even compare the filepaths produced when inserting files on each machine.

Define a caculation field. Set it to return text and enter the name of your container field as the sole item in the calculation expression.

Place this field next to your container field and size it so that you can see multiple lines of text. Then insert a file in different records on both computers. Use this field to compare the filepaths and figure out how they differ.