2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 8:51 AM by AliSheikh

Sharing with another client on company server

AliSheikh

Title

Sharing with another client on company server

Hello,

I have filemaker 13 pro adv. with a simple asset database. My friend in the other office also needs to use this database ( his pc has file maker 12 pro adv.). We have most of our work file on a company server called NTServer 10. We are wirelessly connected to that server which is in the headoffice in another city. Now I've placed the filemaker file in a folder on the server, and turned on sharing. But either of us are not able to access the file if it is open on one end. It just says file is open on another client.

How best can I share with my co-worker this database file? The database also contains references to pictures which are also stored on NTServer 10. I read somewhere it is better to place the file on the host pc but if I do that would I need to move the pictures also to the host pc? And I imagine if I do that , would it make sharing photos even slower? Since I  believe the upload rate from pcs is crappy compared to NTserver.

Please let me know how best to share.

• 1. Re: Sharing with another client on company server
          philmodjunk

Ideally, you need either a copy of FIleMaker Server or a 3rd copy of FileMaker Pro, though there are (less than ideal) ways to do this with just the two copies that you currently have.

The file first needs to be set up for sharing. In FileMaker 13, click the new tool bar button "Share". Turn on Sharing if this is the application that will host the file and then select your open file and the "all users" option.

Now up to 4 other users (if this is FIleMaker Pro) can use Open Remote to find and open the file if they have a separate install of FileMaker 12 or 13. Please note that FileMaker 13 features such as popovers won't work for your FIleMaker 12 clients and there is a setting in File Options that you may need to modify in order to permit access to the file by FileMaker 12 clients.

• 2. Re: Sharing with another client on company server
            AliSheikh

Ok so I've done that, and the pc with filemaker 12 shows my pc ( with FM13 ) on the hosts list, in the 'open remote' menu. When i click on the fm13 pc in the hosts, it doesn't show any files in 'available files' box.

If i view the remote menu from the fm13 pc itself, it shows the same pc on the hosts list and also the files.

Could you tell me what could be wrong here?