3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 11:35 AM by KenWelsby1354

Sharing with remote users

KenWelsby

Title

Sharing with remote users

Dear all

We're at the development stage of a new ship design and build project. I need to share project management and tech info with three partner organisations - project management consultants, architects/engineers and the shipyard. I'm in London, the consultants in Glasgow and the others in continental Europe. At this stage it is sharing / distributing info to prepare the detailed spec - not a project management programme.

For this stage of the work the PMs use Excel files which they pass round by email for other partners to write in, but this is very cumbersome - some items are 8-10 columns of text stretched across three pages.

So I've built a simple database in FM9 [my current version]. The fields are either text or pulldown pick lists for things like status, who is dealing etc. See screenshot attached - I told you it was simple. The other partners are happy to buy FM if it works for us - but how do we share it. Giving them access to our server is difficult. We don't need concurrent access and we don't really have the time, money or expertise to go the FM Server route for this phase.

Can I copy the file to the cloud [eg Amazon s3 or similar online storage], for a partner to download, update and then save back so that others can do the same? Or is there a better way?

Bear in mind I haven't done much development in FM - in a previous life I would tell my "FMaker wizard" what I wanted and he would go away and deliver it, days - or sometimes just hours - later. And my background is media and marketing, I'm NOT a techie.

TIA

Ken

actionsinfo.png

• 1. Re: Sharing with remote users
          sunmoonstar.13

For a simple database with only a few users, perhaps publishing the database to the web might be a good solution. Each user can then access the same database file and create/edit records without worrying about laboriously uploading/downloading/emailing files back and forth.

I've never tried Filemaker's IWP (Instant Web Publishing) myself, so I can't offer any help on the process of setting it up, or the ins and outs of it, but it was just a thought, might be worth looking into:

www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/web-publishing.html

Go to your Help menu > Product Documentation > Instant Web Publishing Guide

Nick

• 2. Re: Sharing with remote users
            philmodjunk

And there are companies that will host your Filemaker IWP database to the web for you in exchange for a monthly fee and this might be a cost effective way to get your database out there for your partners to access.

You could just post the file to a share site for them to download or even set them up with runtimes and just email the data back and forth, but if you take on that approach, controlling the updates so that no data is lost can be a real challenge--especially if two or more users simultaneously modify the same record in different ways.

• 3. Re: Sharing with remote users
              KenWelsby1354

Thanks, folks

Anyone have info / recommendation on reliable hosts for Filemaker IWP database? I'm about to hit Google, but inside info [the voice of experience] is probably more useful.

Ken

PS to all helpful people: if you are in / visiting London, message me for a thankyou