2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 8:32 AM by FentonJones

Should I bother buying Word 2011 for merging with FMP 11?

hhtech

Title

Should I bother buying Word 2011 for merging with FMP 11?

My organization is converting from Excel 2004 to FMP 11.  The secretaries merge data into Word 2004 for a number of documents.  I can't find any documentation that indicates whether Word 2011 will work directly with data in a FMP 11 database or if it is still necessary to export the found set as a merge document.  I don't particularly want to buy Word 2011 to find out that the FMP merge issue hasn't changed.  I appreciate any input.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Should I bother buying Word 2011 for merging with FMP 11?
          sunmoonstar.13
          FMP is not designd to work directly with Word. With FMP, what you do is set up report layouts which display your data either with actual fields or merge fields and then you can simply print those reports or save them as PDF files. The elements of your report layout can be arranged to fit your standard page size (like A4), you can create as many different reports as you want, and you can put your company letterhead and any other boilerplate text into the report as well. Word is better used for what it's designed for - word processing, not data processing. I'm sure your staff will still want to have Word, for all sorts of things (because an office environment will always have a need for a word processor), but for the pure data processing and reporting, all you need is FMP. Nick
          • 2. Re: Should I bother buying Word 2011 for merging with FMP 11?
            FentonJones

Is this on a Mac? Because Word 2008 on a Mac (don't know about Word 2004) has a menu in Mail Merge Manager, the Get List submenu, FileMaker Pro... option. You can then select fields from a FileMaker database. I imagine it's still there in Word 2011.