9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 1:28 PM by RachelBanks

Should I use a script or a calculation for this, and then how do I use the result in a layout...

RachelBanks

Title

Should I use a script or a calculation for this, and then how do I use the result in a layout properly?

Yes, I've been spinning in circles for about a week trying to sort this out.....

I have a layout for billing dues to members of a non-profit.  There are two different name formats used by the members of this group (all female members using either their formal married name or their maiden name) that need to be properly reflected on their dues statement.  I have created a calculation that works to distinguish between the two formats:

Case (not IsEmpty ( Maiden Name Preferred ); Last First Name Listing ; 

IsEmpty ( Maiden Name Preferred ) ; Spouse Last First Listing ; 
           ""
            )

Now, I need to be able to use this calculation in the layout to show their information in one of three ways, depending on if the member is:

1.           Married using formal married name
      3.           Married but uses her maiden name
      5.           Only maiden name used 

The format ideally would be (for example)

Smith, Mrs. John Q. (Jennifer)                                      Jones, Ms. Jennifer

Street Address                                           or                  Street Address                           

City, State Zip                                                                  City, State Zip

or

Jones, Ms. Jennifer

Spouse: Mr. John Q. Smith

Street Address                    

City, State Zip  

Should I write a script for the three options for address format?  If so, can someone please point me in a proper direction?  I've never written a script before and I am giving myself a headache looking at on-line references, two different books, video tutorials, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help!