3 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 8:31 AM by philmodjunk

Show a different field in find and browse modes

AlastairMcInnes

Title

Show a different field in find and browse modes

I have a portal on my main layout showing three fields from a related table. In Find mode, I'd like the user to be able to search all three of those fields without having to click on the right part of the portal (the three fields were next to each other).

No problem, I thought, just create a calculation field which is an amalgamation of the three fields and add that as a field to the portal. I thought that if the three "real" fields were set only to show in Browse mode and the calculation field only to show in Find mode, that would solve the problem, but it doesn't work.

I've attached a screen shot of the portal - you can see the calculation field poking out from behind the IssueDate field just to the left of the red cross.

In terms of the vertical layout the three fields are on top and the portal itself is at the bottom, leaving the calculation field in the middle.

Another approach I tried was to put tab chars into the calculation field to display the three components in columns that way. This works quite well but, if the publication is longer than the field it's shown in, then it gets truncated in my original layout but just nudges everything else along in the tabbed version. Ideally, I want it to be truncated.

Does anyone have any ideas how to pull this off?

Many thanks.
           Alastair

Portal.png