3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 6:59 AM by philmodjunk

Show and Hide Fields

ErichBrandt

Title

Show and Hide Fields

Hello,

Can you show and hide fields like you can with tab panels by assigning them an object name and using a script?

I can do a work-around by imbedding my menu into tab panels so that depending upon a condition I can display different menu items. The issue with the workaround is that you cant edit the line attributes of the tab panel (hide it), I have to minimize the tab label size and add a box (header text) over the labels for each panel to hide the tab labels. I would rather only deal with the size of a field and not the size of a tab panel, and hiding the panel with a header box. 

I know I can also accomplish this effect with several layouts, but that what I am trying to avoid.

If anyone have any ideas that be great. Not critical as I have a messy work-around, but making a field an object and accessing the fields graphic properties via a script would be optimal.

Thanks,

Erich

• 1. Re: Show and Hide Fields
          philmodjunk

The issue with the workaround is that you cant edit the line attributes of the tab panel (hide it),

But you can hide the tab control. Invisible tab controls are one of the "tricks in the trade" for making layout objects appear and disappear.

See this demo file for a bunch of different methods for making layout objects appear and disappear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8levaz6deiyzjr8/LayoutObjectVisibilityControlDemo.fp7

In FileMaker 12, open this file from FileMaker's File menu in order to get a copy converted to the .fmp12 file format.

• 2. Re: Show and Hide Fields
            ErichBrandt

I will look into this...... If I can hide the tab panel frame lines while displaying the contents, this would work well. Being able to do the same with a field would be a better option.

NEW FEATURE V.5 :  Field Properties edited via Object Scripting.

I have value lists assigned to a global field that displays dynamic variables per tab. When an item is selected, a script is triggered via data modification.

If I am understanding your response, its a decent work-around

Thanks for your response,

Erich

• 3. Re: Show and Hide Fields
              philmodjunk

You can set the tab control borders to none to make the borders of the entire tab control invisible. What you can't do is have one visible tab panel and another Panel of the same control be invisible.