9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 8:57 AM by philmodjunk

Show Custom Dialog Question

CraigFiore

Title

Show Custom Dialog Question

Hello,

I have created a script with "Show Custom Dialog" and I am using the Input fields to insert infromation.  However, the only way i can do this is by having the Input fields be used by Button#1. I would like to have button #2 do the input.

Is there a way to control which button which button controls which field to be input? 

Craig 

• 1. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
          ninja

Howdy,

If [ Get(LastMessageChoice) = 2 ]

and name the buttons in the Custom Dialog pop-up.

Or do I misunderstand?

• 2. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
            CraigFiore

Hello Ninja,

I think i have that or am i mission something. Do I have to actually put the name of the button somewhere?

Button #1 is called "Auto Number" 

Button #2 is called "Own"

Button #3 is called "Cancel" 

Here is what my script looks like.  

Let me know if the image did not come through.

Thanks 

• 3. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
              ninja

Howdy Craig,

I can't see the image of your script.  Either type out the pertinent parts, or all of it, or I've heard that Advanced can let you copy and paste the script as text (search the forum for "Posting Scripts").

I'm on FMP8...keep that in mind as it may make a difference on where things are located:

In Scriptmaker, on the Show Custom Dialog step there is a "Specify" button.  Click this and it lets you edit your button labels.  Use these to, well, edit your button labels. ;)

You do not have to put your button label in the script functions...Get (LastMessageChoice) works on button number (1,2,3)

• 4. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                CraigFiore

Thanks for your help Ninja,

Looks like a found a way around it, but from what I see, only the #1 button will work the fields. I can not get Button #2 to work the field input.

Do you know much about Loops. I am having an issue with that now. 

• 5. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                  ninja

CraigFiore wrote:

I can not get Button #2 to work the field input.

Button #2 doesn't work a field input, it continues your script with a Get (LastMessageChoice) = 2.  The field input is a different item.

What is it you're trying to do, and how are you picturing it working...lets go from there.

Loops...very easy, very effective when used well and very dangerous if used poorly.  Make backups regularly while building with them (make backups regularly no matter what).

Please describe what you're trying to do with loops...what is it you're trying to accomplish?

• 6. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                    CraigFiore

The first part of your last entry, answered my question. But Im not worried because i did it another way.

Loops!!

Here is a copy of my current script:

Show All Record

Copy [Select;Workorder::cJobIDMaxplus1]

New Record

Show Custom Dialog["Serial Number Choice"………]

If[Get(LastMessageChoice=1]

Paste[Select;….]

Go to Field[…]

If[ Get(LastError)=401]

End If

Show Custom Dialog["Error"………]

End If

If[Get(LastMessageChoice=2]

Delete Record/Request

End If 

Here is how it is suppose to work.

When the script is activated, it will create a new record, then give the user a choice to use the next serial number in line or create a custom number based on the job.

This issue I am having is:

If the custom number entered us used, the 2nd Show Custom Dialog kicks in and give a message to choose another number. Which is fine, but if the second number entered has also been used, the script just ends.

I think i need a loop in there somewhere. 

I hope i explained this ok. 

• 7. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                      ninja

Howdy Craig,

Show All Records ##Not needed, but does not harm

Loop

Show Custom Dialog["Serial Number Choice"……{field = myfield}…]

##Bailout clause

If[Get(LastMessageChoice=2]

SetField [ myfield ; "" ] ]## clear out the field before exiting

Exit Script

End If 

## Check the number to verify it is unique

If[Get(LastMessageChoice=1]

Set Variable [$test ; Value: myfield ]

Enter Find Mode[]

SEtField [ Workorder::cJobIDMaxplus1 ; $test ]

Set ErrorCapture [on]

Perform Find

## Make the record and add ID to it if unique

If [ Get (FoundCount) < 1 ]

New Record/Request

SEtField [ Workorder::cJobIDMaxplus1 ; $test ]

SetField [ myfield ; "" ]## clear out the field before exiting

Exit Script

EndIf

EndIf

SetField [ myfield ; "" ] ## clear out the field and let them try again

End Loop

Note: "myfield" as shown above should be a new field that isn't used for anything else.  It will only serve the purpose of a placeholder in this script.  I would recommend that it be set to global storage.

Note: Copy&Paste use the computer's clipboard and involve risk...use Set Variable and SetField instead.

Note: Workorder::cJobIDMaxplus1 shouldn't be a key field in a relationship if you're letting folks choose thier own.  Let them choose whatever they want, and show it to them wherever you want, but use an autoenter serial for your keyfield.  That way you can change your mind later about the job# without crashing your Dbase or breaking relationships.

Is that what you were after?  Remember, many ways to skin a cat...there are other ways to do it, this is one.

• 8. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                        CraigFiore

Thank you for your help. But, I just received the news, the higher ups here at the company don't like the idea of putting in numbers that way. So I wont be continuing with this script.

But you were very helpful.

• 9. Re: Show Custom Dialog Question
                          philmodjunk

"...the higher ups here at the company don't like the idea of putting in numbers that way..."

If this is a security concern, be advised that there is a "password" option for your input fields that will echo the input with bullets instead of the actual numbers.

If this is a layout issue (custom dialogs are extremely limited), You can also work up a dialog pop-up of your own using the New Window script step. Since this step opens a new Filemaker window that displays its contents in a Filmaker layout, you have all the options of any other Filemaker Layout to format fields, add scripted buttons etc and this, though a bit clunky in windows environments, can thus work in situations where a custom dialog just won't cut it.