1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 2:07 PM by philmodjunk

Show table records in portal-Continued

Dekade

Title

Show table records in portal-Continued

I know this is a "laugh at me" question but here goes.

I have Table1 with a portal for Table 2. Each row of the Table 2 portal is supposed to show a record from Table 2. I'm goofing on my relationship somewhere.

Can someone help me? None of the records in Table 2 are showing up in the Table 2 portal.

Sorry, but I can't help the dementia brain fart issue.

Dekade

• 1. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
          philmodjunk

My crystal ball isn't that powerful. wink

Care to tell us what relationship details you have set up to make the portal work? Match fields? operators? (= . X, < ...)

• 2. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
            Dekade

Sorry

• 3. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
              Dekade

I'll be gone for the next 60 minutes

• 4. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                philmodjunk

Since your relationship looks correctly set up, you then need to check deeper by double checking field data types and the actual data in the two match fields to see why there is no "match" between the portal records and the current record in COMPOs.

You should also check:

In Layout setup, do you see COMPOs specified in "Show Records From"?

In Portal Set up, do you see TOPICS specified in "Show Related Records From"?

When you click on each field in the portal row and check what is displayed in "display data from" on the Inspector's data tab, do you see "Topics::" as the first part of the text in this box?

• 5. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                  Dekade

Since your relationship looks correctly set up, you then need to check deeper by double checking field data types and the actual data in the two match fields to see why there is no "match" between the portal records and the current record in COMPOs. I think I've Checked everything and I think it is okay.

You should also check: See all .png's

In Layout setup, do you see COMPOs specified in "Show Records From"? YES - OK

In Portal Set up, do you see TOPICS specified in "Show Related Records From"? YES - OK

When you click on each field in the portal row and check what is displayed in "display data from" on the Inspector's data tab, do you see "Topics::" as the first part of the text in this box? NO ? This might be the problem for an unknown by me reason.

• 6. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                    Dekade
                    /files/d0a01aaa79/COMPOsFields.png 1280x800
                    • 7. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                      Dekade
                      /files/e1d60e9700/TopicsFields.png 1280x800
                      • 8. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                        LaRetta_1

The last screenshot points to the error ... The foreign key CompoID can't be auto-enter.  You must manually assign the foreign key but ...

Which is the 'many' side?  You have a ComposID in Topics and also a TopicsID in Compos.  If you truly want a n:n (many-to-many) then you need a join table which holds one of each ID.

Does one Compos have many Topics?  Does one Topic have many Compos?  

• 9. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                          LaRetta_1

To explain a bit more Dekade, you have auto-enter calc on fk_ComposID in Topics  which looks up the pk_ComposID through its own relationship which doesn't exist yet because there is not yet a relationship until fk_ComposID's field is given a value by the User. You need to remove that auto-enter or explain how they should be related, as I mentioned in my prior response.  :-)

• 10. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                            Dekade

I see. I always struggle when it comes to relationships. It just doesn't want to sink in.

I have changed the _fkCOMPOsID to not be auto enter. Items still do not show in the portal.

I would assume it is because the third table is not part of everything yet. Yes I do want a many-to-many. My intent is shown by the creation of the Selected Topics table.

I guess that table has to be joined with the other two before I see the records from TOPICS in the portal? I have both COMPOs and TOPICS foreign keys in the Selected Topics table. How do I make the join?

There are existing records in COMPOs and TOPICS.

Dekade

• 11. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                              philmodjunk

Here's a many to many demo file you can examine to see how it can be set up:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

Feel free to ask questions if you can't figure out how part of it works.

• 12. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                                Dekade

Thanks so much. I will be able to get at that in about an hour and a half. Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                                  Dekade

PhilModJunk:

I am about 20 minutes into looking at the drop box sample. Isn't yours pretty darn close to where I am wanting to go per this posting and the posting 1 Button - 2 Scripts??

Yours has a "x" button that can create records in the join database right? If that "x" button is clicked again does it or can it (with modification) erase the record just created in the join database (In my Case - SELCTED TOPICS)?

If I continue to partially model after your many-to-many sample will I have to be learning all about and implementing the Table Occurrences concepts, etc. etc.?

As I continue to model after your example (to some degree) should I work solely with your check box method or should I focus on the method you and S Chamblee discussed in post 1 Button - 2 Scripts??

I want to start in one direction and then finish out in that same direction.

• 14. Re: Show table records in portal-Continued
                                    philmodjunk

Isn't yours pretty darn close...

I would think that is the case. In a private message, you may recall that I mentioned a demo file. I was thinking of a modified copy of this very file to produce what you needed.

If that "x" button is clicked again does it or can it (with modification) erase the record just created in the join database

That's exactly what it does. Check out the script performed when the button is clicked. The presence or absence of a corresponding record in the join table is what the conditional format expressions check for to hide or reveal the "X" layout text that you are clicking.

will I have to be learning all about and implementing the Table Occurrences concepts

Yes. Learning about table occurrences, what they are and how to use them is a requirement, IMO, that has to be met before you can move from "beginner" to "intermediate" database designs in FileMaker databases. See this thread if you haven't read it already: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

should I work solely with your check box method or should I focus on the method you and S Chamblee discussed...

I don't see any significant difference between the two. Both are very, very similar concepts.

1 2 Previous Next