1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 10:09 AM by philmodjunk

show/print large amounts of text associated with portal records?

FrankBell

Title

show/print large amounts of text associated with portal records?

I have a student trip signout system, in which participating students are listed in a portal. I'd like to set up a layout (to be printed) which would be a list of participants along with their medical issues... which are summarized in a field, but the field could in some cases be quite extensive. I could expand the portal, but that takes up lots of space for students with no issues, and may not be enough for some with lots of problems. There's a "trip" table, a "student" table, and a join table.

How can I accomplish this?? Ideally, the field length shown or printed would be adjust to the amount of text in the field, so as not to waste space.

• 1. Re: show/print large amounts of text associated with portal records?
          philmodjunk

Don't use a portal.

Create a layout based on the portal's table set up with a list view format. Include fields from the student table in the header. The invoices starter solution uses this method for printing invoices so you can open that solution and take closer look to see how this can be done.

In this layout, you can size the text field to be quite large and then specify that it Slide up / resize enclosing part. (See the sliding and visibility section of the Inspector's position tab.)

You can use a script to perform a find or use Go To Related Records to pull up the correct set of portal records to print this out for a given student.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.