4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 6:02 PM by CalebJames

Showing 2 related portals on the same layout

CalebJames

Title

Showing 2 related portals on the same layout

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hopefully you guys can help me with this...

So the layout's database (we'll call it Date Database) shows records by date & I have a schedule database related to the date database by date. I had no problem showing the related shedule to the related date but I also want to show the next day's schedule on the same layout. I thought this would be easily accomplished by a self joining relationship but it's proved much more difficult than I anticipated. I've attached a screen shot to help make a little more sense of it. I've tried every trick I know but I'm officially stumped so any advice you guys can offer would be a huge help!

Screen_Shot_2013-01-01_at_11.20.21_AM.png

• 1. Re: Showing 2 related portals on the same layout
          philmodjunk

What you call a "Database" is actually a Table. A database can consist of many tables, possibly in more than one file.

What relationship do you have between the layout's table and your schedule table? What match fields do you use?

We can probably add a second occurrence of your schedule table and link it by a different match field in the layout's table to show the next day's schedule.

• 2. Re: Showing 2 related portals on the same layout
            CalebJames

Yes, thank you, table is what I meant.

See attached pic for my relationships. The tables in question are show database (previously refered to as date database), schedule & schedule 2.

I currently have schedule related by date and schedule 2 related by a serial #.

Thanks!

Caleb

• 3. Re: Showing 2 related portals on the same layout
              philmodjunk

Add a calculation field to Show Database, cNextDate as Date + 1 with Date specified as the return type. This computes the next day's date for whatever date you enter into Date.

Create this relationship to a new occurrence of Schedule:

Show Database::cNextDate = ScheduleNextDay::Date

Now a portal to ScheduleNextDay will list the succeeding day's schedule records. You can also use a new field in Show Database of type date instead of the calculation field in this relationship. If so, you can put that new date field on your layout with a pop up calendar and now you have a portal where you can select the date for which you want to see Schedule Records.

• 4. Re: Showing 2 related portals on the same layout
                CalebJames

Yes! Thanks so much!!!