8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 10:51 AM by LaRetta_1

Showing all fields in table view

Shipstead

Title

Showing all fields in table view

I am having difficulty with table view - not all the fields in the body of my layout are showing up in table view, so I can't enter data in all the fields easily.  What am I doing wrong?  Help!

• 1. Re: Showing all fields in table view
          raybaudi

Hi

how many fields do you have in your layout ?

Are there someone on the header part or footer part ?

• 2. Re: Showing all fields in table view
            Shipstead

Thanks for your response, Daniele.

In the mysterious way these things work, I had tried everything I could think of without success, then posted my question and went to get some lunch.  When I came back, I found your reponse, but also that my table view is now working perfectly!  The last thing I tried before leaving my desk was to resize all the columns smaller.  Could this have fixed it?  Is there a maximum width for display?  A maximum number of fields for display?

I have 100 fields, 91 of which are included in this layout, all in the body.  Was this just a glitch or was it something I did?

• 3. Re: Showing all fields in table view
              raybaudi

> Is there a maximum width for display?  A maximum number of fields for display?

Yes, the layout has a fixed widht.

With a column width of 100 pixels, FIleMaker can display only 80 fields ( or about that number ) in Table view due to the width of the Layout.

• 4. Re: Showing all fields in table view
                marimardig

Thanks for helping me understand my problem- I was having the same issue you just responded to.

SO my question is, so what should I do if I have 150 fields to display in a table??  Do I need to create separate tables that are related?  This would be quite cumbersome for data analysis.

Please let me know if you have a suggestion.

Thanks

Maria

• 5. Re: Showing all fields in table view
                  TSGal

marimardig:

Thank you for your posts.

I would create two different layouts.  One with the 80 fields, and another with the remaining 70.  On the second layout, you could include the first five fields from the first table, so when you switch between the two tables, you have some consistency.  You can even create a button that will switch you between the layouts.

I hope this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Showing all fields in table view
                    SuzyJarman

Hello

I am new to this forum and haven't yet found how to start a new query, so I apologise for tagging my new query on the end of this question on a similar matter.

In Access and Excel it is possible to 'freeze panes', ie keep a column or columns 'frozen' to the left hand side as well as heading(s) at the top, enabling the user to scroll to the right and down, whilst still being able to see which data it refers to.

Is there some way of doing this in File Maker Pro 8.5?  I have got column layouts and also I've been looking in a table view of a form but I have not seen a way of doing this.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Many thanks and kind regards

Suzy Jarman

• 7. Re: Showing all fields in table view
                      TSGal

Suzy Jarman:

Thank you for your post.

Freezing a field/column in table view is not possible with FileMaker Pro 8.5.

To start a new message, go to the board you want to add the message, and in the upper left corner, just above the first topic, there should be an icon that says "New Message".  Click that icon, and you can start a new thread.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Showing all fields in table view
                        LaRetta_1

Hi Suzy, it can easily be made to look like Freeze Pane by using technique above.  The fields far left that you want to freeze, have them appear on both layouts.  Then change your table layout by adding a header ( Layouts > Layout Setup and selecting Views tab and table views properties and select Add Header).  In this header, put a right-pointing arrow at the top right of the layout which switches you to second layout.  And on second layout, put left-pointing arrow at the top left of the layout which switches you back.

Make your 'frozen' first few fields a slightly different color (maybe same as header).  Then, to your Users, it will appear that the arrows jump the unfrozen part of the body back and forth.:smileyhappy: