AnsweredAssumed Answered

Showing data from related records on a layout

Question asked by AlastairMcInnes on Jun 15, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2012 by AlastairMcInnes

Title

Showing data from related records on a layout

I have two tables containing data about books.

In one, called Titles, is data that is common to all editions - title, author, editor, etc.

In the other, called Editions, is data specific to a particular format - ISBN, price, hardback/paperback/eBook, etc.

Some books only exist in hardback, whilst others may have as many as 5 (or more) different formats, each with its own ISBN.

The Titles table has an ID field which is used to form the relationship to the Editions table.

What I'd like on a layout is to display the common data at the top with a summary under that of the different editions available - perhaps a list of the ISBNs and the format in a list.

When the user clicks on one of the ISBNs, I'd like the lower part of the layout to show the data from the relevant record from the Editions table.

The user would be able to click on a different ISBN and the lower part of the layout would change to show the data from that Editions record, and so on.

I managed to get the common data onto the layout easily enough and then it seemed that I needed a portal to show the ISBNs and formats but I'm stuck on how to change the lower fields to show the data from the relevant record from the Editions table when the user clicks on one of the lines in the portal.

Assuming this is possible, I'd be grateful for any pointers on how to do it. I'm reasonably competent generally with IT, but a beginner with Filemaker so please use short words...

Many thanks.

Outcomes