3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 6:07 AM by philmodjunk

Showing info from one layout to only a specific other.

AmberJeffery

Title

Showing info from one layout to only a specific other.

Hello,

Please forgive me I am by no means a data base building brain. I stumbled upon filemaker and found it so user friendly. I created a database for my own purposes at work and it has been  so successful that they now want to roll it out for other users. It is a very basic database by most standards.

I use it for a recording enquiries to a 1800 number. So have created, lets call it layout A. All enquiries get entered here. Then I have created two other layouts for 2 other users, team A and team B.

What I need to do is create views for them, so if I have entered info in to my main enquiry layout I would like to be able to only show certain enquiries to each other layout or team. So that team A can not see enquiries directed to team B and vice versa.

I have created a "button" field that I have labelled team A and one for team B and I was hoping that I could make it so if team A was selected in my main layout then only team A would see that enquiry. If it was not selected then they would not be able to see it.

Is it possible to do this? I have the privilege sets worked out for users to only see their layout but at the moment all enquiries can bee seen by all. I need to stop that.

That does not sound very clear, I am hoping it makes sense to someone and they can help me.

Any help is very appreciated.

Many thanks

Amber

• 1. Re: Showing info from one layout to only a specific other.
          philmodjunk

You may not need two layouts, one for each team. That would be needed only if your two teams interact with the data in ways that are distinctly different.

Manage | Security can do more than just control access to layouts. It can control access to specific records. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Showing info from one layout to only a specific other.
            AmberJeffery

Thanks PhilModJunk,

I had a look at this but each team does interact differently. Their individual layouts are extended to data collection on their specific program, so much more involved than the main layout.

I was thinking it would be great if I could have a script that runs an automatic find on a specific field when that layout is opened. So if I selected a field specific to that teams layout and when it was opened there was a find done so it only showed records with this specific field. Does that make sense?

I just don't know how to write the script for that?

I am sure it is not hard if you know how, I just can't figure it out...

• 3. Re: Showing info from one layout to only a specific other.
              philmodjunk

From your post, I am unsure if you understand. Yes, the teams need a data collection layout, but does one team collect data differently than the other to the point that each team needs their own layout? Given that they are recording data into the same table, that's a question that I have to ask. But it's secondary to the issue of limiting Team A's access to just their records and Team B to just the team B records. Manage Security can be set up to control both what layouts are accessible and also what records in each table in your database are accessible for a given user.

Once you have that set up, ANY find performed by a Team A user will return only records that match their find criteria and which they are authorized to access. All "no access" records are automatically omitted even if the record meets the users specified find criteria.

Thus, the following script performs a find that should find all records, but if the user is logged in with a less than full access password where the privilege set is defined to limit access to certain records, it will find only those records.

Enter Find Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box
                   Set Field [YourTable::AFieldThatIsNeverEmpty ; "*" ]
                   Set Error Capture [on]
                   Perform Find []

This script can be set up to be performed by the OnFirstWindowOpen script trigger in File Options and then this script will be performed each time that the file is opened.