4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 9:16 AM by philmodjunk

Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database

NickFrese

Title

Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database

I am trying to show local images in a calculated container field in my database. The images will all be in the same subdirectly on my hard drive, but which image will appear depends upon a radio button in each record. I have one calculated field called photoPath that determines the local path of the image, thusly:

If ( imageSelection = "Family Image"; "C:\work\website\current\Web Content\products\\" & family & ".jpg" ; "C:\work\website\current\Web Content\products\\" & prod & ".jpg" )

Fields noted in bold are all text fields, with imageSelection being the radio button.

Then I have a calculated field resulting in a container, thusly:

"imagewin:/" &  photoPath

It looks like everything is working, but I am getting a message in the container field that the file cannot be found, and I'm not sure why, as it definitely exists in the location listed, as follows:

The file cannot be found:
      C:\work\website\current\Web Content\products\4141.jpg

Any idea what could be wrong here?? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database
          Sorbsbuster

You have two backslashes:  "...Content\products\\"  Try removing one first before we try anything else.

Also, you are using a forward slash after imagewin:  I would change them all to be the same.

• 2. Re: Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database
            NickFrese

Unfortunately, no dice. First of all, if I try putting just a single backslash in the formula, it blows up. I used DOUBLE backslashes in all cases, and that seems to be providing the correct path, as I posted above. It was the same story with the second field: if I use a SINGLE backslash after imagewin, boom. So I used a double backslash there as well. When attempting this fix, I did get a slightly different path, as follows:

\C:\work\website\current\Web Content\products\4141.jpg

I also tried the following to determine exactly what path is being seen by the field:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/54009712a1

This provided the following path:

imagewin:/C:/work/website/current/Web Content/products/4141.jpg

I'm beginning to think that I need FORWARD slashes, based upon this. I am going to try that next and see what happens.

• 3. Re: Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database
              NickFrese

Well, that was the fix. It was looking for FORWARD slashes rather than BACK slashes for the local path. It now seems to be working perfectly. Nice.

• 4. Re: Showing local images in FM Pro 9 database
                philmodjunk

Backslashes are the "escape" symbol that tells FileMaker's evaluation code to take the following character as a literal character that's part of the quoted text. That way you can include a double quote inside your quoted text by using \". That makes backslashes invisible when the string is evaluated unless you double them, using \\ where you need \.