2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 5:46 AM by Peter_2

Showing more than one record from one table on a layout

Peter_2

Title

Showing more than one record from one table on a layout

I have a table which records a driver's movements during a day (tblMovements), I also have a table which lists the locations he could visist (tblLocations). The particular fields I am having issues with are as follows:

tblLocation has fields LocationID and LocationAddress.

tblMovements has the following fields - LocnID1 (a unique location ID number), LocnAddress1, LocnID2, LocnAddress2 & so on up to Location number 10.

LocnID1 has a drop down list & gets values from tblLocation::LocationID

I need LocnAdd1 to then display the associated tblLocation::LocationAddress, then to repeat for locations 2 to 10.

My problem is that I can get the LocnID fields to populate OK but don't seem to be able to populate the address fields with the relevant addresses. I guess it's a relationship issue but I have tried various permutations with various results - none successful.

I know I'm doing something stupid but could someone help me out?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Showing more than one record from one table on a layout
          Sorbsbuster

Why do you not have the LocationAddresses 1-10 in a separate table, related to the Movements Table, just as you have Locations related to the Movements Table?

• 2. Re: Showing more than one record from one table on a layout
            Peter_2

I'm not sure what you mean by having LocationAddresses 1-10 in a separate table.

I need a table (tblMovements) which amongst other things has a list of all the locations he visited during one day. It lists 10 locations (LocnID1 to LocnID10) & the 10 associated addresses (LocnAdd1 to LocnAdd10). The Location information is stored in tblLocn and it contains one entry for each of the possible 500+ locations the driver could visit. The two fields this info would be picked up from are LocationID & LocationAddress. I created 10 relationships between the two tables, linking LocID1 with LocationID, LocnID2 with LocationID etc. Referring each of the 10 LocnAdd entries with the relevant relationship. I'm new to Filemaker but have used Access before and I guess I haven't got the hang of the differences between the two.

I hope the above makes things a bit clearer about what I'm trying to achieve.